Rear Axle Seal Question...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I put my truck on the lift at work to perform a 15,000 mile interval service the other day. I changed the oil, rotated and balanced the tires, and cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes. When I pulled the right rear drum off of the axle to clean and adjust, I found it full of gear oil :mad: . I immediately pulled the axle shaft and hub off of that side to get the part number off of the axle seal so I could order a replacement. I had our parts department (I work at a Toyota dealership) call the local Ford store- to find out that a new axle seal was $85.00!!! :eek: :eek:

Normally, I'm a HUGE proponent of factory parts, but with Christmas coming I needed to do this on the cheap. I called NAPA and got a new seal for $25 and a new set of rear shoes for $22. I disassembled the brakes on each side and cleaned everything up, inspected the brake cylinders (they were dry- for now...) and packed the bearings on the right side with grease. Installed the new shoes (they look identical to the Ford original shoes I removed...) The new seal went in fine and seems ok...

Did I set myself to have to do this again soon by using the cheapo seal, or will it hold like the factory seal normally does? To clarify, this is on my '92 F-250 with the 10.25" Sterling axle, with 82,000 original miles. Ideally, I would have used the Ford Seal, replaced seals on each side, New factory shoes, and new factory brake cylinders, but money wouldn't allow... It's only been a few days, but I haven't noticed and moisture build up around the drum, and I intend to remove the drum in a few more days to re-inspect.

Discuss.

Ryan

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
reklund said:
So I put my truck on the lift at work to perform a 15,000 mile interval service the other day. I changed the oil, rotated and balanced the tires, and cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes. When I pulled the right rear drum off of the axle to clean and adjust, I found it full of gear oil :mad: . I immediately pulled the axle shaft and hub off of that side to get the part number off of the axle seal so I could order a replacement. I had our parts department (I work at a Toyota dealership) call the local Ford store- to find out that a new axle seal was $85.00!!! :eek: :eek:

Normally, I'm a HUGE proponent of factory parts, but with Christmas coming I needed to do this on the cheap. I called NAPA and got a new seal for $25 and a new set of rear shoes for $22. I disassembled the brakes on each side and cleaned everything up, inspected the brake cylinders (they were dry- for now...) and packed the bearings on the right side with grease. Installed the new shoes (they look identical to the Ford original shoes I removed...) The new seal went in fine and seems ok...

Did I set myself to have to do this again soon by using the cheapo seal, or will it hold like the factory seal normally does? To clarify, this is on my '92 F-250 with the 10.25" Sterling axle, with 82,000 original miles. Ideally, I would have used the Ford Seal, replaced seals on each side, New factory shoes, and new factory brake cylinders, but money wouldn't allow... It's only been a few days, but I haven't noticed and moisture build up around the drum, and I intend to remove the drum in a few more days to re-inspect.

Discuss.

Ryan

Rear hubs are full floating design, the bearings are fed gear oil via the axle shaft, hence no need to grease the bearings.
Chicago Rawhide (CR) seals have worked well for me, never had a comeback. I've had very bad life from the OEM seals. Just a little prelube into the two piece seal assembly prior to install guarantees they'll last a long time.
Lorne

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the bearings are lubed with gear oil...the old guy at work coached me on the finer points of drum brake maintenance said to pack 'em with grease. He worked at a Ford dealership back when these trucks were new, and thats how they did 'em. I even asked him why that was necessary, since they get lubed by gear oil, and he said that was for the initial start when you put it back together, so they're lubed until the gear oil gets down there. The gear oil will break down the grease anyhow, so it should be ok.

Thanks for the input on the seals...I feel better about things. In my experience, the NAPA seals don't work at ALL, but my experience is on Toyotas...

Ryan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS is the reason Ford wanted $85 for the seal. It wasn't just the seal, it was the whole seal upgrade kit, which includes a big honkin' inner bearing. If your parts man was more astute, he would have asked you if you had the slinger seal already, and if you just needed the seal only.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! That makes way more sense! The parts guy at Ford didn't even ask my parts guy at Toyota what parts I had. He just said the seal was $85! Now I sorta wish I'd gone with Ford parts to get the updated goodies....

Next time, I suppose. Thanks!

Ryan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I used to say in parts sales, Don't ask why it's so expensive. Ask why it's so cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger