Rear Axle Question

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F-250’s had reverse cut Dana 44’s up until 1987 with the Dana 50 optional. Most F-250 SuperCabs came with the D50 due to the added weight. The D50 became standard in 1987.

The dana 44 ttb HD was still standard in a f250HD and a single cab, my 1989 f250 HD has one. Don't know if they ever changed that till the super duties came out, but I know that was still the formula in 1989, dana 44 TTB hd standard with a regular cab, dana 50 ttb optional order, all f250 super cabs had the dana 50 ttb.

I never thought about it till you mentioned it in your second post, but anyone on this board should have a stock diesel truck, and they were all f250hd so they all would have the full float axle. So anyone on this board should be looking for a full floating axle if they want to keep their truck original.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably just pull open the differential and check the gears out. Unless something is actually damaged, just buy a new set of gears and swap them in.

Heck, you can do what I did and just get a "crush sleeve eliminator" and "shim kit" for a stirling 10.25 and simply shim the ring and pinion until you have a lot less play.
No, the pattern won't be perfect doing this, and might result in shorter life... But by this point, the gearing inside it is "shot" anyway and time to be replaced.

As it turns out, I've got 20K or so on my 'mod' with no issues. When the gears wear horribly, *then* I'll replace them. Till then, a little shimming goes a long way.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WESPAUL it appears Ill be headed your way next month. jIm gonna baby this thing until the world looks flat. My buddy and I will going over to your place and do some business.

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you? I have complete rear ends in both 3.55 and 4.10. Both are full float

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mean to add this part too.

Unlike GM, Ford chose to only offer the diesel engine option in trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GFW) rating of 8600 pounds or greater. The standard F-250 with its lighter chassis and semi-float rear axle, and 6600 pound GVW wasn’t thought to be strong enough. This meant that only the F-250 HD and F-350 got the diesel engine option. Even though the F-250 was not identified as an HD, the higher GVW package came with full-floater Dana 61 rear axles (Dana 70's in many cases. Ed.). In February of 1985, the switch was made to the Sterling 10.25 inch ring gear rear axle. Higher capacity F-350’s came with the Dana 70 rear axle and late in 1985 the F-350 4X4 dually option was added to the lineup.

That was originally only the dually cab and chassis if I remember correctly, I don’t believe DRW pickups came 4x4 from the factory until the superduty.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was originally only the dually cab and chassis if I remember correctly, I don’t believe DRW pickups came 4x4 from the factory until the superduty.
I do believe there has been 4x4 dually with pickup box , back at least to 1986, a dually and cab and chassis are two different trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
264WSM Im located in Midland,Texas.........1/2 way between Fort Worth and El Paso., in the middle of no-where!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe there has been 4x4 dually with pickup box , back at least to 1986, a dually and cab and chassis are two different trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Nope, not true. No dually 4x4 pickups till 1999. Any that you are seeing on the road are "made up" by their owners using cab and chassis parts.

BIG ZILLA

Reaction score
Any Sterling, from 1988 up will bolt in. Grab one that has your ratio (preferrably out of a 92-97, has less issues) and slap it in

NOT COMPLETELY ACCURATE! Chassis cabs have narrow rear ends and with less distance between spring centers than pick up rears. Not to mention different length pinions in later years.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People do all kinds of custom stuff, but mostly guys will just take the Dana 60 from a srw truck and put it under the front of the 2wd dually, the cc front axle is the most bolt on since it already has the dually hubs.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd just get a front axle out of a 250 or 350, with all the brackets and such and weld them, just like converting any 2x4 to 4x4.

Alternatively, I've seen an occasional 2wd 4x4 conversion to dually - slap spacers on there and go!
'Course, it won't increase the GVWR or anything legally, and might be harder on the wheel bearings(which are overspec'd anyway...), but I've seen it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The least technical way to convert to a 4x4 dually would be to take a 85.5-up f350 SRW, install the dually adapters on the front dana 60, swap in the dually rearend, and then swap a dually bed in place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker