Really wishing I had a zf5...TPS sensor.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got to driving the truck (91 f250HD 4x4 e40d) with the new injector pump and the transmission shifted hard. I tried setting the TPS sensor and I just can't get it to shift like it did when I parked it...which was great!
My voltage at full throttle with a warm engine was 1.2 volts (negative on battery ground positive on middle wire) and I feel like first gear shifted Better at this range but still hard shifted. 1.1volts t idle was hard shifting and .98 was terrible.
Full throttle voltage is maxed at no more then 4.1volts and that's with idle set to 1.2 volts. 1.1v idle has a 3.93v full throttle and I'm not seeing any drops. Did my TPS sensor just die or did my transmission Break just sitting? (Fluid is pink and on the full level when warm/idling and in park (I changed fluid/filter about 10k miles ago)

Any help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_125426.jpg
    IMG_20210908_125426.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 9

Black dawg

Reaction score
Shift points and feel in these trucks is about the most inconsistent and funky feeling of any transmission out there.........weird tcm programming, and a bunch of old parts and wiring.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
While you dabble to try an make it work... keep scanning for a deal on a ZF5.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new tps sensor from a ford dealership in Florida, hopefully that helps and yes I'm keeping my eye out for a ZF5. I know the e40d in it is good as it worked flawlessly before I parked it till I could get the IP pump

Black dawg

Reaction score
Also, make smaller adjustments. On my truck I was always in the 1.25-1.3 range with all points in between making a noticeable change.

Also, sometimes the plastic in the end of the tps that the injection pump rotates, can get really worn causing erratic readings.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I bought a TPS sensor from a ford dealership from Florida and that helped a lot but still needs some tinkering. 1.2v idle and 4.1v full throttle gave me decent shifts up till 50mph that last gear seemed to not shift as it got to 3k rpms then I backed down. It doesn't look like I can get to 4.5v full throttle but I hear you can lower it to 1.1v idle so I'ma try that now

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Have you checked the VSS and the CPS (Or whichever that big chunky one on the timing cover is called?

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the VSS and the CPS (Or whichever that big chunky one on the timing cover is called?
Idk what those are, it shifted fine before the new pump so it has to just be the TPS sensor. I bought a ford one and it's shifting smooth at low gears it's just around 45-50 that it's going into 3k rpms to shift and it's a little rough....I'ma try 1.5v idle now

1984bullnose

Reaction score
This might sound dumb but have you checked the 3rd brake light on the back of the cab. For some reason if the brake light is out it can cause issues with the E4OD shifting

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Idk what those are, it shifted fine before the new pump so it has to just be the TPS sensor. I bought a ford one and it's shifting smooth at low gears it's just around 45-50 that it's going into 3k rpms to shift and it's a little rough....I'ma try 1.5v idle now
VSS is the Vehicle speed sensor. The E4OD uses it to calculate shift points and I believe it will influence the shift into overdrive which would probably be at the range you are talking about. It is cheap, supposed to be replaced regularly, located on top of the rear meatball.

CPS or Cam Position Sensor, I dont think thats what its actually called but it senses the position of the cam via the IP gear under the timing cover. Its a chunky sensor on the pump timing cover. Reason I mention is that it may have gotten damaged or it's connections damaged or dirty when the IP was replaced. That is also used by the E4OD to calculate shift points.

Also - The brake like on the top rear of the cab as bullnose mentioned. Make sure that is working as that will also cause issues with the Shift points.

The problem I see is that if the TPS were out of adjustment, it would likely cause funky shift points throughout the shift range. My TPS is a little out of range and it causes the torque convert to lock up at higher RPM than I want. Before I installed the new TPS, my VSS was bad and was causing shift issues, and I had installed LED tail lights which also caused shift issues.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VSS is the Vehicle speed sensor. The E4OD uses it to calculate shift points and I believe it will influence the shift into overdrive which would probably be at the range you are talking about. It is cheap, supposed to be replaced regularly, located on top of the rear meatball.

CPS or Cam Position Sensor, I dont think thats what its actually called but it senses the position of the cam via the IP gear under the timing cover. Its a chunky sensor on the pump timing cover. Reason I mention is that it may have gotten damaged or it's connections damaged or dirty when the IP was replaced. That is also used by the E4OD to calculate shift points.

Also - The brake like on the top rear of the cab as bullnose mentioned. Make sure that is working as that will also cause issues with the Shift points.

The problem I see is that if the TPS were out of adjustment, it would likely cause funky shift points throughout the shift range. My TPS is a little out of range and it causes the torque convert to lock up at higher RPM than I want. Before I installed the new TPS, my VSS was bad and was causing shift issues, and I had installed LED tail lights which also caused shift issues.
Thanks I'll check out where to buy the plug next to the oil fill cap, it probably hasn't been replaced in forever but I do know the RPM gauge stays crazy smooth in the dash so I always just assumed it was good but I'll get that replaced.

I have a bricknose so I don't have a 3rd brake light but I did just install new taillight housing and reused the old light blubs so I'll make sure I didn't mess up the wire or something.

Is there a video or picture on the 3rd you mentioned that isn't the plug thats next to the oil fill cap on top of the timing cover?

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might sound dumb but have you checked the 3rd brake light on the back of the cab. For some reason if the brake light is out it can cause issues with the E4OD shifting
I haven't checked in a bit but I know it's a cargo light on my bricknose, I don't think it's ever came on with brakes unless it's supposed to?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

CPS is on a PSD. IDI uses a tach sensor.

The TPS could could develop dead spots causing shift issues up or down range.
To test for this, use the volt meter and test the full sweep. There should be no jumps or erratic changes on the meter.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPS is on a PSD. IDI uses a tach sensor.

The TPS could could develop dead spots causing shift issues up or down range.
To test for this, use the volt meter and test the full sweep. There should be no jumps or erratic changes on the meter.
Yeah I've watched for dead spots in the full sweep going slow. I did buy a new Ford TPS from a dealer and I got a cheapo one on Amazon so next day off I'll toss on the cheapo one on and see how it reacts. I can't get the ford spec 4.5v full throttle only 4.2v full throttle

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the max spec. Don't exceed 4.5 volts. When setting the TPS stay within the min/max spec. Do a test drive, if it shifts good leave it. If you don't like it, give it a little adjustment. Most times it can take a couple of tries to get it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online