Really quick brake question

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick review:

Soft (brake) pedal that slowly sinks to the floor is simply air in the system, right?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick review:

Soft (brake) pedal that slowly sinks to the floor is simply air in the system, right?

If you have rear anti lock brakes it could be the master cylinder or the rabs valve. To find out the one that id giving the problem click the link. Although it is for a Bronco it applies to our trucks as well.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec99/techtips.htm

If it does not have rear anti lock it could still be the master cylinder. It could also be a brake caliper or a wheel cylinder or a hose that is leaking. Read the article first and isolate the problem starting with what the article says then move on from their.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When that happened to me it was the master cylinder.

Still it is better to find out if it is the RABS or the master cylinder. Otherwise you start throwing parts at it like some mechanics. The last time I had someone do my rear brakes they wound up replacing the MC, Calipers, rear shoes, rear drums, rabs valve and rear wheel cylinders. This was over the course of two full weekends from open to close with me waiting. They also wound up replacing two wheel studs because the so called mechanic put the rear wheels on wrong on one side and when I pointed it out to him he proceeded to take the wheels off the one side and broke a wheel stud removing the nut.

After all was said and done I wound up getting every component replaced except the hoses and lines at no charge.

The last brake job I did myself and noticed that the self adjuster was installed backwards on the drivers side from when the mechanic did the brakes.