Re treaded tires?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Wow, 150 for 4 tires mount and balanced? I only pay $75 for 4 tires, mounted and balanced at the local tire place.

I think he means the $100 for the tires + $50 for mount/balance (which is still too high for me).
$10/tire mounted and balanced is the norm around here.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've considered running this type of tire, but have decided against it. My reasoning is that no matter what the tread rubber is like, the sidewall rubber is still old. I just don't want to take a chance on old rubber. The newer rubber may not be much better in quality, but at least it's still new.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth it imo. A tire that pops can make you lose control of your vehicle and/or ruin your fenders. Not to mention put others in danger if you do end up losing control. If you tow frequently, I would definately ditch that idea.
Best to buy new tires if you can afford it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've considered running this type of tire, but have decided against it. My reasoning is that no matter what the tread rubber is like, the sidewall rubber is still old. I just don't want to take a chance on old rubber. The newer rubber may not be much better in quality, but at least it's still new.
It depends on the tire, honestly. I have a set of XPS tractions, designed to be re-treadable. Steel cords in the sidewalls, and this set was made prior to 2000(3 digit year code). They are still pliable, no cracking, and I ran them for a full year last year.
That was good rubber right there.
On the other hand, I've heard of cheap car tires not lasting even 5 years before cracking unacceptably, so... depends on the quality of the tire.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100$ for a set of 315/75-16 tires not just stock size. Used 35's are like gold around here 50% tread got for 500$ or more for some reason, Thats without rims too lol I can find stockers or 31-33 tires all day for less but I like how my truck sits on 35's. I've got a level kit so I clear them with no rubs.

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running recaps for years, both on my p/us and my big trucks. On the Western Star I had 1 failure about 3000 miles after I put it on. Goodyear stood behind it and replaced it. If I would have brought them the piece of tread (that I left on the road) they would have paid for my quarter fender. I also had 1 early failure on my trailer. It was past the warranty period so I couldn't go back to Bridgestone.
Never had an early failure on a p/u. The only downside - if you leave your truck sit for 6 mo to a year or more the casing will start cracking where it meets the tread. I had tires sit on a p/u for 2 yrs. The casing/tread joint started cracking, but I still ran them for 2 more years with no issues. I got a slow leak at the crack in 1 of them and replaced all 4.
The key to recaps is air pressure. Keep your pressure up to keep your tire temps down. The reason you see gators in the road at springtime is that the truck drivers are too lazy to check their tire pressures. They thump the tire and if it has air they think it is OK. I run my big truck tires at 100-105 and monitor them with a Cats Eye system. I run my p/u tires at 60 for the steer and 50 in the back. BEFORE I put weight in it, I run them up to 80.
I use these 2 places and couldn't be happier:
https://www.tirerecappers.com/product-category/light-trucks-tires/
https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter

I run them year round (different tread patterns) and don't have any problems. I wish my local tire capper would start doing p/u tires.

Doc Niver

Reaction score
Been running retreads from tire recappers of Nashville for years 90,000 on rear of my dually hauling trailers for a living.
Can't beat the price or the longjevity and good guys to deal with.
Watch the tire psi and they go a long time.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Cali, it was legal to run them on the rear of school buses. It never failed to take a field trip on a hot day and have one unwrap on cajon pass. Not sure if they still use them or not.
I wasn't even aware they still made them for light duty applications.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are Michelin brand re caps If that's any help, they are being installed now. Hopefully just till summertime

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Runnin smooth and quite no more broken belted tires and switching from m/t to a/t is a nice change less road noise. I know the risks and what to watch and feel for I stay in town mostly so we will see. Bfg makes a decent tire and Michelin is known for quality so hopefully these will go a while.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Obviously no one here is going to change your mind.
But... I think you're forgetting something.... Okay maybe Michelin makes good tires. (A produced tire, NOT a recap)
Also sure, the bfg's may be okay for some. About the crappiest tire I've ever seen, in my experience. But.... again, it's not a bfg. It's a bfg copycat tread pattern.

I can go buy a ip from the parts store. Looks the same, will it last like Mel's?
I can go buy a highpoint, will it perform like a Glock, colt, s&w? Looks the same-"ish"

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online