rdt road draft tube i read somethings just need a little more input

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone got any pics of how they made a catch can and how they ran there rdt on a factory turbo idi. i guess i just remove the cdr on the valve cover and put a hose i think im going to use conduit along the frame rail anyone know what size i should use im thinking like 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 where about in line should my catch can be i beleave i saw some where someone ran it right off of there oilfill cap like they drilled a how in the center would that be better right now my cdr hose runs in to a beer can http://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/icons/laught22.gif on top of my motor with holes in the top side so it will catch oil really need to get this done

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a turbo and am currently using the CDR because the rings are sealing rather well. But I do have a catch can on my Harley because the moly rings would push a little oil into the air cleaner. I have it put away in my barn but it's a couple of hours away right now, so any pictures will have to be dug up. But I will say that you can buy those separators out of catalogs like Jegs or Summit.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost very little to no oil out of my RDT. However most of my seals leaked because of running a slightly pressurized instead of de pressurized crankcase (I had a 1.25" ID hose running off the IP gear case). I'd run a oil separator inline, then into the turbo inlet before I ran an RDT on an IDI again. I think the fuel tank is a pretty good and novel idea, but if anyone ever sees smoke coming out of your fuel tank you might have an issue.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost very little to no oil out of my RDT. However most of my seals leaked because of running a slightly pressurized instead of de pressurized crankcase (I had a 1.25" ID hose running off the IP gear case). I'd run a oil separator inline, then into the turbo inlet before I ran an RDT on an IDI again. I think the fuel tank is a pretty good and novel idea, but if anyone ever sees smoke coming out of your fuel tank you might have an issue.

^^^ Accidentally posted in the wrong RDT thread. There are two on page 1 right now.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time keeps your two questions on the same subject in one thread so stuff like above doesn't happen, posted not even 20 minutes apart...

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
i just bought this

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...tch+can&_nkw=oil+catch+can&_sacat=0&_from=R40

and i put it on the pass fender with the line ran over the back so theres also a drain back effect.
finally the rdt dumps under the pass side between the cab and inner fender.

I thought the point of the catch can was so that you could run the hose from CDR to intake without getting the oil to the intake. It stops you from blowing oil on the ground, but you will still smoke. Regardless, I really like the look and price of that catch can. How big is it, there are no dimensions in the description.

I currently have a condensator on my mustang, it was on a parts truck I got so I figured I would try it. It certainly catches oil but is just cluttering up the bay on the stang. I think I will see if I can enlarge the ports to make it work on my IDI as a catch can. If you don't know what the heck a condensator is, take a look. http://www.condensator.com/

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure it's big enough to not restrict flow. A catch can should be just as simple as a coffee can on a hanger - all it's going to do is catch the oil dripping out of the rdt hose when you stop. Woln't do anything about smoke. For that you need an oil separator/condenser which is a completely different beast.