RDT Into Exhaust

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering how I rerouted it?

I built me an oil catch can. This was to eventually be installed in a future cold air intake project (that will be a whole 'nother thread).

Started with a piece of 3.5" exhaust tubing, welded some stuff together...
You must be registered for see images attach

Built a little tray in the top 1" or so...

And filled the void with some 00 steel wool.

Even used a couple air line fittings and some clear vinyl hose so I can easily check the oil level in it.
And a drain valve with some 1/4" tubing that runs down under the truck to drain it.

Bolted it to the core support between the radiator and the pass. side battery.

So my RDT is now running from my home brew Banks style adapter to the catch can, then down through the front suspension like a typical RDT setup.

It will eventually be plumbed back into the intake, but that is pending the completion of a whole 'nother project.

Hardly driven the truck like this (summer = Harley for daily transportation), but the big fog is back from under neath the truck. No extra oil leaks as of yet, and the RDT doesn't appear to drop any oil after shut down. Smoke out the exhaust cleaned up considerably; the crank case fog is now gone at idle, and the haze on acceleration is cut down also. No longer heating up and burning out all of that gunk in the exhaust pipe.

I'd say the trouble of building a catch can isn't really worth it for a standard RDT setup, but it will be once I plumb it back in through the intake.

So I got a bit side tracked with the catch can, but the general concept of these last two posts is.......

RDT into the exhaust = fail.

stuborn nut

Reaction score

Here is my catch can never mind the bondo(not very good with a spool gun on thin material)

after the blow by goes thru the can I return it to the base of the air cleaner

here is one of the vents I put in the valve cover. I started with dual rdt but consumes way to much oil was like parking in the fog any time I wasn't rolling. I hooked the vent to the other valve cover but couldn't get a good pic the down pipe covers it up

here is the inlet and outlet of the catch can I used 3/4" from the valve cover to the can, out of the can I used 1 1/2" rad hose with a few stainless dish scrubbies as a course element to try to catch as much oil as I can. 3/4" hose back to the air cleaner base to get burnt. with this setup I recover about 50 to 75% of my oil. No fumes in the cab and people don't tell me the truck is on fire every time I stop. May have a little blow by?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think this is what I'd like to do: I'd like to build a can directly on top of the timing cover. Come out of the timing cover and up. Go into the bottom of a piece of pipe. Weld some perforated plates in the pipe with steel wool between the plates. Out the top of the pipe and into the intake.

This way, any oil that would collect would drain directly back down into the engine. Shouldn't need a drain.

I have a mental picture and am gonna build something like that.

Thoughts?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made this catch can with a Goldenrod filter. A stainless strainer is available to replace the paper element. I have a Banks adapter at the oil fill and from the filter it goes into the intake between the air filter and turbo using the CDR.

Attachments

• DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00172.jpg
    DSC00172.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 44

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I made this catch can out of 4" PVC pipe. I put a cap on the bottom along with a brass drain valve and a threaded cap on top so I could inspect/clean if I need to. I am running 1" hose from the CDR to the can and then back to the intake post filter. I added a breather to the can as I was afraid of there being to much pressure. I have a deflector with steel wool inside, but removed the wool out of fear of it being pulled into the intake. It seems to be working pretty good, I get no smoke from the breather, so no fumes to suffer with and the can is trapping oil.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^this is how I will eventually run mine.
It was reading your catch can thread that had me digging through my scrap metal pile to see what I could possibly weld together.
You'll notice I made the top removable so I could easily add a breather if needed.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running a rdt for a year or so on my '94 7.3t. I ran a hose straight from the driver side valve cover and had it dump out under the cab. I messed around with oil catch cans but none of them really worked. The oil blew right on through. Has anyone tried using a cdr but instead of it going back in to the engine just route it like a rdt ? That way it can do its job but there is no worry about feeding oil through your turbo. ..

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
^^^^^this is how I will eventually run mine.
It was reading your catch can thread that had me digging through my scrap metal pile to see what I could possibly weld together.
You'll notice I made the top removable so I could easily add a breather if needed.

Your can is much better looking, I wish I could weld. ;Sweet

how about somthing like this for toes people that are not so good at making there own things.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Poli...=100011&prg=10240&rk=8&rkt=10&sd=231018467673

I looked at a bunch of those before making mine. The problem is the hose fittings are too small, most of them using standard gas motor size PCV hose. I'm not real good at making things either, but working with the PVC was easy, all I needed was a saw to cut the pipe and then a hole saw bit for my drill to mount the tubes in the main body. I probably have about $30 into my setup as well.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's lots of options for aftermarket catch cans like the one posted above. The main issue with them is they are designed for gassers - the inlet/outlet sizes are way too small for our IDI's. The one exception I found is the Racor CCV setup a like Towcat linked to earlier in this thread.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think this is what I'd like to do: I'd like to build a can directly on top of the timing cover. Come out of the timing cover and up. Go into the bottom of a piece of pipe. Weld some perforated plates in the pipe with steel wool between the plates. Out the top of the pipe and into the intake.

This way, any oil that would collect would drain directly back down into the engine. Shouldn't need a drain.

I have a mental picture and am gonna build something like that.

Thoughts?

Hey would be interested in knowing what y'all think of this. Don't know a whole lot about this sort of thing so if those who do wanna chime in with their opinion I'd appreciate it greatly . Thanx

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well it sounds good, but I've been told that you wouldn't want that collected oil to go back into the engine.
As it may have moisture in it.
It shouldn't be enough to really need it back in the engine anyways.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I think space would be an issue, not a whole lot of room under the hood above the timing cover.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm thinking I'll make it about 4" tall. Gonna squeeze it in between the oil fill and the heater hose. Gonna use a chunk of 2-1/2" aluminum pipe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online