RDT Into Exhaust

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running the same road draft tube setup for about a 1 and a half now; never started a thread about it, but I'm going to update the status of this anyway.

Originally switched to a road draft tube when still naturally aspirated.

Built an aluminum plate to bolt on the IP cover, like the banks setup, and ran a 1" hose over the top of the alternator and down.

Version 1: ran the hose straight down and terminated it next to the pass. side leaf spring.
-oil consumption went down
-if left idling while parked for any length of time, the heater would pull some of the fumes from the RDT into the cab - momma not happy

Version 2: ran a longer hose and had it dumping out on the side of the transmission tailhousing
-same oil consumption
-heater would still pull fumes into the cab - momma still not happy

Version 3 (current version): welded a bung into the end of the downpipe and plumbed the RDT into the exhaust.
-same oil consumption
-no more fumes/smell in the cab - momma now happy
-more smoke out of the exhaust
-oil in the exhaust system

Round these parts, most of the old IDI's smoke like a freight train, run really quiet, and don't make any power. This is probably due to the fuel system having way too many miles on it because.....well, it just keeps running.
So I don't like the extra smoke coming out the exhaust; the plus to this is that it's far enough back there that the passengers don't complain about the funky burnt oil smell.

My exhaust system now has a significant buildup of oil in it; could be more of an issue if running a muffler.

And here's the interesting part that I am recently noticing; I mostly just drive my truck to work and back, but when I take it on longer trips, I take the opportunity to run the hell out of it. When under a good load - like going up a hill at WOT - the exhaust starts to get hot enough to start burning the oil out of the exhaust system. It's easily noticed by the lack of rearward vision due to the massive cloud of pretty blue smoke - the kind of smoke that is usually followed shortly after by engine parts being slung across the road.

So even though this seemed like a good idea in the beginning, it's fatal flaw has been realized.

I now have a turbo, a cold air intake setup, and am on my way to having a intercooler plumbed in. I haven't yet decided if I'm willing to put a CDR back in the system and pump oil through the turbo and intercooler, but something is going to change.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good write-up, and some good points that I for one hadn't considered before. Thank you ;Sweet

Just a thought...have you put any thought into installing an oil separator somewhere in the line? I wonder if that would help with most (or possibly even all) of the issues?

Brush 6

Reaction score
My bro runs his road draft tube all the way to the rear of his extended cab on his 99 Stroke. He has no issue so far. I run mine down the back of the engine next to the trans. I deleted the CDR which I don't like and put the road draft tube in it's place. An expansion plug sealed up the manifold. Just some ideas.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently playing with the routing of mine... It got kinked recently and I think caused a couple problems. Anyway, thanks for your research. I still have the CDR on it with the hose running down an out by the alternator. I really need to put an elbow on it next to prevent any future kinking....

Brush 6

Reaction score
I'm gonna extend mine further back on the truck as the vapors are coming back up into the engine and gumming up my air filter. Not good. :frustrate

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Race cars that vent the crankcase gasses into the exhaust use a 1way check valve to keep the exhaust from backing up into the crankcase.

Can you add a catch can to stop the oil so it dont go out the hose and get everything oily?

Brush 6

Reaction score
Me and my bro were talking about that today. My dad's 08 6.4L Stroke has a catch can with a road draft. Works dag gone good. If I can find one off a 6.4L, I might be able to retro fit it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
can i ask why would one do this? is there an advantage somewhere?

For people that don't want to deal with blowing out seals or the smell, and decide to keep it hooked to the intake, can effectively keep their intake/inside of engine clean, and turbo/intercooler if equipped.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what if you ran it into the exhaust closer to the manifold where it is hotter? might burn it off better and not have the constant residue from the pipes only getting hot sometimes