RDT Into Exhaust

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya forgot one point the catch canister. i ran a breather and it sucked, now i got a catch can and its much better. still have not had much of a test but the catch will help keep a lot of oil out of the air or exhaust

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take an example from an ISB (24 valve) Cummins and mount a catch can by the accessory drive. Take it one step further and add the secondary tube, the RDT, and terminate it by the transmission.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Brush 6

Reaction score
You still get vapor though. That's the thing that makes our moms/wives not like riding in our trucks. cookoo Same thing that's gumming up my air filter. So long as it's going down the whole length, I wonder if running a RDT all the way to the rear of the truck would work.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You still get vapor though. That's the thing that makes our moms/wives not like riding in our trucks. cookoo Same thing that's gumming up my air filter. So long as it's going down the whole length, I wonder if running a RDT all the way to the rear of the truck would work.
That's why I would use a catch can in conjunction with the factory system.

Take an example from an ISB (24 valve) Cummins and mount a catch can by the accessory drive. Take it one step further and add the secondary tube, the RDT, and terminate it by the transmission.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen the catch can on those, but all the bigger Cummins I see leak oil like crazy.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I've seen them ran to the rear bumper but the problem ten is you have 15 feet of hose to worry about getting linked and blowing out seals.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. Because I have three trucks that run an RDT just to the leaf spring area, and while some of them produce copious amounts of vapor, I've yet to ever smell any in the cab. In order to smell it, it has to come up into the windshield area, and I've always see it just coming out from under the truck and going in some direction not near the windshield.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is one way for an RDT, it's for a PSD but can be adapted to an IDI as far as the CCV/CDR goes, The catch can has been proven not to increase any CC backpressure to blow seals out. Like anything else, maintainance is required. Instead of using a 2" plug on the bottom of the catch can, I would use 3/4" X 2" reducer, and screw a valve in for drain, if the media has to be changed, then the 2" reducer can be removed after draining.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ccv1.php
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ccv.php

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what I was thinking about assembling basically! I always wondered why people didn't just use steel wool or something to get the oil to condense and then gravity drain back to the filter..?

That's what we used to do for our oil vacuum pumps back in the day. Tube packed with steel wool about a foot from the exhaust port then vent it. Oil drains back gas goes out the exhaust tube.

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone got any pics of how they made a catch can and how they ran there rdt on a factory turbo idi iguess i just remove the cdr on the valve cover and put a hose i think im going to use conduit along the frame rail anyone know what size i should use im thinking like 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 where about in line should my catch can be i beleave i saw some where someone ran it right off of there oilfill cap like they drilled a how in the center would that be better right now my cdr hose runs in to a beer can on top of my motor with holes in the top side

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for yet another update.

Fellow member Bookite03 (Kenny) donated a Banks 3.5" tailpipe to my cause. Thanks Kenny.
So I tore the exhaust out to weld a few more chop and weld some pieces for the new tailpipe.

Out with the old.....the "vacuum cleaner" exhaust (Kenny's terminology)
You must be registered for see images attach

And in with the new.
Complete with 4 stainles exhaust tip.
Crappy pic but you all now what they look like.

What does this have to do with this thread?

Remember my issues with oil in the exhaust?

Here's what I found in my exhaust pipe.....

It's about a 1/4" thick layer of gunk stuck to the walls of my exhaust pipe......pretty much all 9 feet of it.

In hind sight, I should have scrapped the pipe and just upgraded to a bigger one but me being the cheap ass that I am, I cleaned it out.

This combination of oil, grease, soot, and whatever was quite possibly the nastiest crap I've ever had the displeasure of working with. Hardly any harsh chemicals would cut it; it stained my hands up to the point I spent an hour in the solvent tank try to scrub the gunk off.
When I can no longer see any tattoos, I know it's bad....

So I plugged the RDT line in the exhaust off and rerouted it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online