Radiator Upgrade?

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good radiator upgrade for our trucks?

I've been having problems running my turbo and AC and getting up there in temp.

Is there a newer radiator maybe from a later 90s powerstroke that will cool better?

Also just a idea to throw around, if I increase the cooling system from 5 gallons to say 15 gallons will that help? Like putting a 10 gallon reservoir under the truck somewhere.

Whats a good water temp to be running at and a water temp to watch out for? I have aftermarket gauges with the sending unit in the driver side back bong.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The after market location is the wrong place for the temp sender. Move the sender to the front of the head where the temp is at the highest. The flow goes from the back of the engine to the front of the engine. Your radiator might be loaded with hard water corrosion. Drain down till you can see the tubes. If there is any buildup around the tubes it time to clean or replace the radiator. A aluminum Rodney Red radiator is the best on the market at this time... The ebay sourse has several other aluminum radiators available too. If you buy a standard non aluminum radiator make sure that it has 13 to 16 fins per inch on each tube. A 12 fin will not work worth the money you pay for it...

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The after market location is the wrong place for the temp sender. Move the sender to the front of the head where the temp is at the highest. The flow goes from the back of the engine to the front of the engine. Your radiator might be loaded with hard water corrosion. Drain down till you can see the tubes. If there is any buildup around the tubes it time to clean or replace the radiator. A aluminum Rodney Red radiator is the best on the market at this time... The ebay sourse has several other aluminum radiators available too. If you buy a standard non aluminum radiator make sure that it has 13 to 16 fins per inch on each tube. A 12 fin will not work worth the money you pay for it...

I just got done sending them an email for a price quote. So at that location what temperatures so I be at and monitor?

Black dawg

Reaction score
in your signature it says 18 inch cooling fan, dont these trucks come with like a 21 or a 22 inch fan?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In the front of the head your temps will be around 7 degrees higher than the normal reading are the mixing chamber under the injection pump crossover. The block has a channel in it where both heads dump into this passage and mix. then it is seen by the thremostat... The temps when the "check engine lite" comes on is 242 degrees. Thats when you back out of the throttle and let it cool down or risk ruining your engine. We can run these engines 220 degrees all day long. Usually the engine oil temp will mirror the coolant temp until your pulling a grade or hauling heavy. then it can get up there around 260 or 270 degrees. thats heats up the coolant by the oil cooler too...

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in your signature it says 18 inch cooling fan, dont these trucks come with like a 21 or a 22 inch fan?

Yes I have 1 mark 8 fan thats cooling my 7.3. It seems to be helping. If I could mount 2 that would be better.

In the front of the head your temps will be around 7 degrees higher than the normal reading are the mixing chamber under the injection pump crossover. The block has a channel in it where both heads dump into this passage and mix. then it is seen by the thremostat... The temps when the "check engine lite" comes on is 242 degrees. Thats when you back out of the throttle and let it cool down or risk ruining your engine. We can run these engines 220 degrees all day long. Usually the engine oil temp will mirror the coolant temp until your pulling a grade or hauling heavy. then it can get up there around 260 or 270 degrees. thats heats up the coolant by the oil cooler too...

So 220 is not something to worry about then. Up around 240 is when damage starts happening?

What about expanding the capacity of our systems? How much will that help?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well think about this. The cost of a Red aluminum radiator is telling you its expensive. I agree with that. Now think about buying another stock radiator that you know wont keep your engine cool. So you spend around $350.00 for something that probably wont solve your heating issues. Then you get sold another idea of something thats... "Really going to fix it this time".... But its doesn't. How much time and money have to spent on fixing this issue. I would like to say the Rodney Red aluminum radiator will be a gaurnteed fix for you r heating issues but I can't..... I will tell you these red radiators do a job like no other radiators I have ever seen or used. RLDSL did the first red radiator and posted how well it worked. I researched that and installed one too. I felt $650.00 deleivered to the west coast was kinda expensive and having only two rows of tubes I was suspect about it. Boy was I wrong. My temps never get up past 205. Most of the time I see 185. Then when I see something up around 195 or 200 I begin to worry something is wrong.... Funny how you get used to seeing a gauge at one area then it finally gets up to where it should be.... to the normal operating range and you get scared....:sly:dunnocookoo You could look on ebay for a less expensive aluminum radiator too. I have seen them for around $350.00 listed there. Actually they are manufactured in the southland here....:sly