Radiator hoses?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I been told when I was in my auto shop class to replace any bad lower hoses with the ones that have the spring inside. Mine is flaking on the outside, the one that's on it is just a rubber hose no spring. Should our trucks have a spring in the lower hose or just the rubber hose? :) I'm getting the hose with steel core inside.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
AH, one of my favourites, the spring in the hose argument LOL
It doesnt matter one stinking bit if there's a spring or not. So long as it's a *quality* brand hose ( i.e. not some autozone special ) . Some hoses are designed to not need a spring, they have an internal structure designed to withstand being sucked in that is mounded into the hose, a numbr of hose manufacturers use this technique on different hoses on vehicles that are known for long service and have a history of people running low coolant levels in them to prevent rusted springs from getting sucked up into the water pumps, some hose manufactures have eliminated the springs all together for this reason, so , no it is not a requirement.
THere are some folks who would rather slap their grandma than install a hose with no spring, but there is really no reason for it, and grandma would feel a whole lot better if theyd just put the hose on.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Was just wondering :) Hope that's ok :) Advance had the Dayco hoses with that molded in synthetic reinforcing layer.

Sure, You'll be fine with that. A Dayco, Gates ( napa gold which can be either a dayco or a gates depending on who they are in the sheets with this week ), Goodyear, Continental, Any of those would be fine without a spring, and you might go to buy it the next time and find a spring in it. Dont get worried about it. This stuff changes all the time depending on the rubber formula they are using and a lot of that depends on the current environmental regulations that they are working with that will dictate how much structural strength they can get out of a hose.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good description RLDSL ;Sweet

SAE qualified hoses have a vacuum test that they must pass in order to meet certain specs (like 100R4 hydraulic suction for instance), and manufacturers use reinforcement layers in order to provide more hoop strength to prevent collapse. I would also agree that Dayco, Gates and Goodyear all make good hose. Not as good as Parker :D but we don't make much in regards to formed hoses.

I have no preference as to "internal spring or not to spring": one gives you a little bigger warm and fuzzy with regards to collapse but usually at the cost of a little more corrosion in your cooling system. I always wonder why a lower hose would collapse if you've properly filled and tested your cooling system, but then again nobody can really figure out why all strange things in life happen :dunno

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Let me chime in with a question..... its a little off topic but still close... has anyone thought of creating a hard pipe setup like on a big truck for the cooling systems on these trucks, or is it not feasible? Just wondering as its getting close for me to think about belts and hoses

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Let me chime in with a question..... its a little off topic but still close... has anyone thought of creating a hard pipe setup like on a big truck for the cooling systems on these trucks, or is it not feasible? Just wondering as its getting close for me to think about belts and hoses
Not really a good idea cause it'll be rusty hoses like the old ww2 jeeps. The metal part would rust out. And there ya have it, metal flakes in your engine.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I work on big trucks all the time as far has having a ard pipe for radiator hoses on the big trucks they dont rust from the inside out because the coolant used in the trucks keeps it from doing that but what I have seen is the pipes rust from the outside inward.
I just dont know what material they are using to make these pipes with.
I dont see that being a bad idea but to find pipes with the right bends or make one that doesnt leak is another story.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I work on big trucks all the time as far has having a ard pipe for radiator hoses on the big trucks they dont rust from the inside out because the coolant used in the trucks keeps it from doing that but what I have seen is the pipes rust from the outside inward.
I just dont know what material they are using to make these pipes with.
I dont see that being a bad idea but to find pipes with the right bends or make one that doesnt leak is another story.
My bad I thought it was like the old metal hoses like the ww2 jeep style radiator hoses.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They couldn't be all hard pipes. The engine moves relative to the frame; you have to have at least some flexible part to accomodate that movement. Otherwise, cracks -> leaks.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
They couldn't be all hard pipes. The engine moves relative to the frame; you have to have at least some flexible part to accomodate that movement. Otherwise, cracks -> leaks.
sorry if I wasn't clear. I ment rubber on the ends of the hose then the middle of it would be metal. :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Actually, I have a couple hard pipe sections in my upper hose one I bought and one I had made up by my radiator guy, both are alumanum, they have fittings tapped in them for fan switches and temperature senders.. Handy setup, makes it tough to get the hose attached though. Theres enough flex for engine vibration, but it s a tad tight when squeezing the new hose sections around, works fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Replacing the hoses comes down to temps.. The hot return hoses are the ones that usually fail long before the cold hoses.