Radiator Hole!

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
Any quick fixes for a hole in a radiator? Picked somethin up in the road drivin the other day and the fan shot it into the radiator. Just need a quick "patch" till I can get the cash to replace it

FX4 Level2

NEEDS A DIESEL
Reaction score
i dont think there is anything out there that is a good "patch" and is good for any part of the cooling system.. any of that bars stop leak is scary if you have seen what it can do to coolant passages.

i think mythbusters said egg can do the trick but dont quote me on that..

id try before u replace the radiator take it to a radiator shop that can repair it its usually alot cheaper! Thats what we did on one of our rangers that got pretty good..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try pinching the affected tubes shut...it isn't a perfect fix, and it'll have a negative effect on your cooling, but it should get you home. You might couple that with "sealing" the tubes with some RTV or something, and then leave the pressure cap loose on the radiator so the system doesn't build pressure, then don't work the truck too hard and keep a close eye on your water temp.

Hope that helps some...good luck!

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
yeah I've heard of the egg thing...but i would venture to say you have to clean it out eventually...We got it home just drivin at night with the cap loosened up. Buddy of mine got a hole fixed for 30 bucks so i think i might try that for now. thanks guys!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I was going to mention solder. But it involves removing the rad, scrubbing and cleaning and sanding the affected areas and soldering the tube.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726