R&D Stage 1 Drop In Turbo

jetfly12

Reaction score
Here are the videos for the stage 1 drop in. So far, I am loving the extra grunt my truck has after upgrading to a stage 1 turbo and injectors. I am hoping to get another couple videos on an easy intercooler install using parts and pieces commonly available. I am still waiting to find a dyno to get on and to tow something heavy and go do the same hills I've previously struggled on and see the difference post upgrade. Also, I pitched the amazon oil feed line and had a hydraulic/brake tube shop make me a 1/4 npt 24" long and got a 1/4npt tee so I can use the stock oil pressure switch. Installation was medium difficulty wise and took about a day to do. I love how easy it is to adjust the wastegate, it was at 5psi to start with, up to 8, 12 and stopped at 15psi and do not want to go any farther. I absolutely love the sound the turbo makes and a 3 inch DP to either a 3 or 4 inch exhaust is well worth it, but a real pita to fit between the motor and firewall so modification is a must. Not sure when I will upgrade the IP and get head studs along with it, we will see what the future brings. I just wanted to start this thread to have an open discussion with any questions or comments with this setup.
One last thing, subscribe and thank you! ;)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've definitely watched your videos before! I was wondering what the performance difference is between that turbo and injectors vs a stock turbo and injectors? I've rebuilt my stock turbo for around 200$ and the fuel system is also rebuilt with the IP turned up near 2.5 flats. I get no boost until around 4th when accelerating and I can achieve 7-8psi if I lay into it in overdrive. That new setup definitely sounds awesome!

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Hope to see the intercooler install video soon!!

Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've definitely watched your videos before! I was wondering what the performance difference is between that turbo and injectors vs a stock turbo and injectors? I've rebuilt my stock turbo for around 200$ and the fuel system is also rebuilt with the IP turned up near 2.5 flats. I get no boost until around 4th when accelerating and I can achieve 7-8psi if I lay into it in overdrive. That new setup definitely sounds awesome!
Then you have a leak somewhere.

jetfly12

Reaction score

First off with performance wise, it's still an IDI and she's a heavy truck in terms of HP to weight ratio, this is why I am excited and eager to try the first heavy tow and see if it'll hold 4th gear up some steep grade and see what it does. And of course a dyno so I can get some numbers. But overall it feels a touch snappier. Now with your issue, I'd agree with typ4. Have somebody blip your throttle and look from underneath looking at the y pipes and other exhaust connections going into the up-pipe. May have to retorque some bolts and stove cement putty and or buy the new updated up-pipe from typ4! Cheers!

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off with performance wise, it's still an IDI and she's a heavy truck in terms of HP to weight ratio, this is why I am excited and eager to try the first heavy tow and see if it'll hold 4th gear up some steep grade and see what it does. And of course a dyno so I can get some numbers. But overall it feels a touch snappier. Now with your issue, I'd agree with typ4. Have somebody blip your throttle and look from underneath looking at the y pipes and other exhaust connections going into the up-pipe. May have to retorque some bolts and stove cement putty and or buy the new updated up-pipe from typ4! Cheers!

Thanks guys! I know the up pipe has a slight leak where the slip joint seats in place (I had to take it apart when I installed the turbo.) I don't know of any effective way to seal it besides soot or cement puddy. I shift pretty early into 4th so that's probably why I don't see boost in third. 4th will produce 2-4psi if I accelerate quickly, yet in 5th I'll see .5-2psi while cruising at 55-65. EGT probe on the banks downpipe reads 400-450F on typical drives, guessing 600-650F at the manifolds; smoke only when I shift low in rpms. Maybe I need some more fuel...? I'll see.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unlikely it needs more fuel. You should be cruising around 5 psi at 60. give or take some.
I didnt realize how much a exhaust side leak could kill you, but it was losing me 2.5 mpg and .5 psi cruising boost. I would definitely get it fixed.
and @jetfly12 I love watching the videos. I cant wait for more, and I am also anxiously awaiting you trying a trailer and dynoing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online