Quick question

unclerunkel

Reaction score
So I've got an 89 f250 7.3 idi, I just replaced the IP on it and I just can't seem to get the static timing right, does anyone have a ballpark on how much for a shop to retime it?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sirch
Grin

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you'll get lucky in your area but most shops won't have the gear to time it.
Hopefully there's someone nearby in the link Clb gave you.
If you were near me I'd do it (with your help) for a 30pk of PBR. I would think a shop, if you can find one with the gear, would charge $100-$200?

unclerunkel

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure theres one just north of me, my dad used that place to work on his 6.4, I'm just unable to contact any places due to the fact it's a weekend, lmao. Thank you very much

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing "by ear" most shops that charge are in this category.
Ask what METER THEY OWN!
I had a stop at a local diesel shop a while back (I'm a FedEx driver) and out of curiosity I asked if they could time my 7.3IDI and literally the guy said, "they'd line up the marks and "yank" the IP until it sounded right." I was like........waaaaaaa...... yeah right........ reputable diesel mechanic.........huuhhhhh.....

Reactions: Clb

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure theres one just north of me, my dad used that place to work on his 6.4, I'm just unable to contact any places due to the fact it's a weekend, lmao. Thank you very much
Like BrainVT said, most shops won't have the equipment to time one of our engines these days and don't want to. A lot of times, they don't even have any technicians that would know how to use it even if they did have the right equipment.
I had a stop at a local diesel shop a while back (I'm a FedEx driver) and out of curiosity I asked if they could time my 7.3IDI and literally the guy said, "they'd line up the marks and "yank" the IP until it sounded right." I was like........waaaaaaa...... yeah right........ reputable diesel mechanic.........huuhhhhh.....
This sounds about right for the vast majority of shops these days.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like BrainVT said, most shops won't have the equipment to time one of our engines these days and don't want to. A lot of times, they don't even have any technicians that would know how to use it even if they did have the right equipment.

This sounds about right for the vast majority of shops these days.
I don't think they have "technicians" that understand "intake-compression-power-exaust" and if it's more than a bad sensor or PCM that needs adjusting they don't have a clue. I literally bought a super 86 bronco for 1/10 of it's value because a kid didn't have a clue how to make it work. I'd have been glad just to help it get going but he'd rather program a new mustang.

That's my rant.....I'm done.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I literally bought a super 86 bronco for 1/10 of it's value because a kid didn't have a clue how to make it work. I'd have been glad just to help it get going but he'd rather program a new mustang.
It's all in how you look at things. You got a great deal on a Bronco. Score one in the win column. If you had helped him get it going (for free), he probably would have trashed it or got tired of it and then sold it to someone else who would have trashed it. Now it's with someone who can see it's value. Win #2. This kid now has something that he can use a tuner on and that makes him feel happy. Win #3.
That's how I came up with my old Bronco too. The guy bought it for his 15-16 year old son to drive. The kid thought it was cool because it had loud exhaust on it. He drove it to school one time and then refused to drive it any more. We guess that his friends asked him why he wanted "that old thing" (he was exactly the type that would not want something after someone asked him that). It say around for a while, barely being driven, and then the guy offered it to me for $400. Naturally I said yes. The guy literally walked across the street when he saw me outside and asked me if I wanted it. I hadn't said anything about it to him.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm done with the "modern" crap.
Me too. On my road trip yesterday, I saw several newer vehicles sitting on the side of the road, but none of them were anywhere close to being as old as my 1985! She just kept right on going, happy as a lark. In fact, if I can help it, I won't own anything newer than a 1994.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In fact, if I can help it, I won't own anything newer than a 1994.
That seems to be the sweet spot for many reasons.
The main one for me is that pre-1995 is not subject to emissions testing if/when they start doing it in my county.
I've spent thou$and$ on emissions/evap/computer crap over the years on modern vehicles. They're killing the working man with these regulations.
I'm done.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When ford did away with the 5.0/5.8 that's it for me. I got rid of a 99 f250 a while back and now my newest vehicles are a 90 firebird (KITT) and a 90 Lincoln town car I picked up a while back. I'm set. I have a dually, luxury car, sports car, a running bronco, a project bronco, a parts bronco and a tow truck........a fine collection for a poor white guy

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dusted a few new rigs today when the ole girl was frisky...
11 psi
1050 egt's
200-225 h2o temps. pinned to thee floor. with 7k on the pin.

Fwiw
No # is right for ALL RIGS
Set baseline at 8.5
Retard 3 degrees 1@a time
Mark each permantly....
From static (8.5)
Advance 3 degrees 1@a time
Mark again as above.

None of this works with worn out injection systems.
I am finding prk fuels weak and great from different suppliers today.
@$7.01 @gallon yea fukk...
Nevermind

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online