QUICK QUESTION ABOUT INJECTOR CODES.

Rob2885

Reaction score
Okay heres the deal I am in the process of buying new injectors and buying a new injection pump for my 87 f350 6.9.I just so happen to come across a set of injectors that were way too good of a price to pass up.They appear to be new sealed in plastic,they are United Technologies made in Italy but heres the catch,two of the injectors are A code and the rest are B code.I know I have heard that its not wise to mix codes and that the E code is for emissions engines and the G code is for turbo engines.So here is my question,what is the difference between A and B code injectors??They are made from the same company.They look identical.They go to the same engine.So whats the deal????It seems to me if they are compatable with the same engine then they would have the same pop pressure??I cannot get a definite answer about this maybe someone can illuminate me on this subject.Thanks in advance.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stick with what you know, BB codes are the best and from a reputable supplier, in all likely hood those would work fine however it's hard to say.

Mel at Conestogadiesel.com or Russ on here known as typ4 sell injectors, price does not always equal quality...

the memory and bitterness of a poor quality shoddy product outlasts the sweetness of a cheap priced product ...always

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you want it to be the best it can then stick with a well known supplier as posted and use all the same codes in the engine. Now how good or bad will it run with different code injectors. I don't think you will feel a difference but do not try using a G code with any other codes. Most if not all injectors pop at 1850 lbs where the G codes pop at 2200 lbs. If you time the engine off the G code the engine will run way too far advanced because the lower popping injectors will fire long before the G codes. And the G code will fire retarded to the lower popping A or Bb or what ever codes. Not a good feeling in the engine. I'm no expert but I know a little about a lot of things.

Rob2885

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input.The reason I asked is because I stopped at an estate sale and guy running it had an f250 with a 6.9 and asked me if I was interested in buying the truck and I said no but I am in the market for some injectors.He said he had some but they were different letter codes,but he offered me all 8 for 40 dollars and seeing they were new and sealed I jumped at the deal,I figured how could I lose?He said that as far as he knew it didn't really make a difference about the codes except E and G.All of them are B code except two are A code.Mabye Ill just pick up two more b codes and pop em in truck just to be safe.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I don't think B codes are available any longer but ask Mel at Conestoga Diesel in Pa. He will know. From all I have read here I only know of the Bb and G codes offered anywhere. Sometimes ebay will have a seller offering an injector or 2 of old stock. Check ebay under the search.. 6.9 injector

haubert

Reaction score
I'm running the United technologies code b in my 93 7.3 runs fine for $40 buy them you could always have them pop tested before installing if your unsure

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can buy the 1992-1994 factory equipped N/A stanadyne E codes along with the optional factory 1993-1994 turbo stanadyne G codes.

http://usdieselparts.com/b-83654-778865-stanadyne.html

as far as anything else pre-9th gen era,the rest is aftermarket now.those are the only OEM injectors i know of still in production.

The Delphi BB's are OEM. Lucas, who supplied Navistar with injectors for these engines, is now Delphi.

United Tech used to be American Bosch and is now Ambac. Their A codes are still available but are pretty pricey compared to the BB's. Their B codes are only available from the factory as a reman unit.

To the op, I wouldn't run them mixed. They use different nozzles and different nozzle opening pressure.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
I have a question, which codes have the highest pop pressure, wouldn't that be the ones you should run? The higher the pressure should give you better atomization of the fuel, right?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oregon Fuel Injector. Just for reference, and Part numbers.
You can see the A codes must be rare, and have a core charge.
You might call Mel or typ4 (Russ) and make an exchange for B code.

7.3L IDI Ford Factory Turbocharged *NEW* Diesel Fuel Injectors fits 1993, 1994, OEM # 2C3Z9VE527ARM, 991864C91 $47.45 E Code

7.3 L IDI Ford Factory Turbocharged ( G code ) *NEW* Diesel Fuel Injectors, fits 1993, 1994 OEM # 2C3Z9VE527ARM, 991864C9 $37.35

7.3 L IDI Ford Factory Turbocharged ( G code ) Rebuilt Diesel Fuel Injectors, fits 1993, 1994 OEM # 2C3Z9VE527ARM, 991864C91 $40.50

7.3L IDI Ford Diesel Pickup with serpentine belt ( E code ) * NEW * Diesel Fuel Injectors, 1992.5, 1993, 1994 OEM # 2C3Z9VE527DRM, 991838C91 $37.35

7.3L IDI Ford Diesel Pickup with serpentine belt ( E code ) Rebuilt Diesel Fuel Injectors, 1992.5, 1993, 1994 OEM # 2C3Z9VE527DRM, 991838C91 $40.50

7.3 L IDI Ford ( B, BB, C or D code ) *NEW* Diesel Fuel Injectors, fits 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 OEM# 2C3Z9VE527ERM, 2C3Z9VE527FRM 991612C9
$35.35

7.3 L IDI Ford ( B, BB, C or D code ) Rebuilt Diesel Fuel Injectors, fits 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 OEM# 2C3Z9VE527ERM, 2C3Z9VE527FRM 991612C91 $40.50

6.9 L ( A or AA code ) Rebuilt Exchange Diesel Fuel Injectors, fit 1983, & (early 1984) + $20.00 core $45.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The G code turbo injectors have the highest factory set pop pressure at 2200 lbs. Now you can custom set any injector to what you want. A few years back a well known member was talking to an older gentleman about the good old days in the idi engines. He made a comment he set injectors to pop at 2500 lbs and ran then for about 50,000 miles till they and the injection pump failed. It basically kills both the injectors and pump in half the time but.. The hp gain was amazing. I have not attempted to do this yet. It was supposedly done on Bb codes I think but now I'm not sure. The G codes have a different pintle in them compared to the Bb codes. I have a video showing this difference in a jewelers loop 10 power. I will see if I can find it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSuxjmzEcI

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question, which codes have the highest pop pressure, wouldn't that be the ones you should run? The higher the pressure should give you better atomization of the fuel, right?

It's true that higher pressure will give better atomization, but that isn't the only difference between the different codes. The nozzles are different between the also, and that's a larger factor to engine performance than nozzle opening pressures. Your ideal situation may be to buy a new set of whichever code you feel is the best, and have an injection shop set them to a higher pressure for you.

Rob2885

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys,have been away from the computer and didn't realize so many had responded.They are all sealed and shiny and for 40 bucks I couldn't beat it,not when one injector costs that price online or in store.I will at least stick with the same letter and not mix the alphabet,although from what I read online I think codes A thru D are just different manufacturers with the same pop pressure.I just took one of my injectors out today to inspect the condition and the tip was covered in carbon and sludge,Yuck!!!definitely time for replacements HeHe....They are all ancient looking and are A code so I think they are all original.I do believe my pump has been replaced at least once in this trucks lifetime though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rob2885.. You realize any change in injectors or injection pumps will cause a timing change. Thats the sad part of these idi engines. Not one new or rebuild injection pump comes internally timed the same so none of the timing marks on the pump or the housing mean anything. they just become a bunch of random lines causing confusion to many. any change in injector pressure changes timing too. A higher pop pressure retards timing.

Rob2885

Reaction score
Well I am going to replace the pump and rent a timing meter aswell.The sad truth is money is an issue right now and I can only afford to buy new parts a little at a time so I have to be patient.I was told a decent pump will run me about 500 bucks so I have put money aside for that and still pay my bills.I need to put a picture of my truck up here aswell.I will definitely be renting that timing meter because I need to make sure I am getting the best mileage and I am sure accurate timing will help with that.