Quick help- Oil EVERYWHERE!!!!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, my truck is puking oil damn fast and I don't like it.

I hooked up my IC today (finally) and ran a RDT. Took it out for a test cruise, and it runs GREAT!!!!! Decided to jump on the freeway to see how much boost I lost. Floored it, and she pulled like hell and buried the speedo. Couldn't get the EGT's over 1000, no matter what.

Pulled off the freeway and noticed that my power steering was intermittent. Pulled over to check it out, opened the hood, and theres black nasty diesel oil everywhere! It looks like it might be coming from the front crank seal and blowing back, but it's hard to tell since it got flung around by the fan. It'll take me a month to get it as clean as it was 20 minutes ago...

Any other likely seals to look at on the front of the engine? I don't know what would have caused it- maybe the conversion to the RDT? It runs like 2lbs less boost with the IC, but still runs strong. Did my lead foot just spin the seal or what? HELP

Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
I know you said it look like its from the front of the engine, but did you mess with the oil feed for the turbo while you were in there doing the intercooler? Where'd you route the RDT from and how?
By the way, I hope there's some details and pictures of your IC installation on the way.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
That RDT may be causing a little higher crankcase pressure than you want depending on what you did. You may have blown out a seal that was on the verge. It could be a pressure seal. Check out your oil cooler too. How much oil did you lose? Oil coolers will blow out a lot of oil very fast, but only on one side of the engine, even on the freeway.
James

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RDT is hooked up via a Banks adaptor on the IP cover, running 1" hose to a catch can, and 5/8" hose from the catch can down to the ground. I don't think it's the oil cooler, as it is wet with oil everywhere on the front of the engine. The serp belt is soaked, and the fan flung oil all over. I did tinker with the oil feed line, but it's definitely dry up on top of the turbo.

Right now, my suspicion lies with either the RDT hose (it was old and crappy anyway) but I don't think it could dump that much oil in 5 miles... OR the front crank seal. It's awfully wet around and behind the crank pulley.

There are pics of the IC install coming, but only AFTER I clean all the oil outta the engine compartment. I HATE a greasy nasty engine. One of the big worries I had about the RDT was getting oil on the undercarriage of my truck. So much for that- the whole thing is rust proofed...

My wife has dubbed it the "Eklund-Valdez" until I get it fixed. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated. I won't rest well until my truck is fixed. It's really embarassing for me, being a Toyota Master Tech, and ASE Master/L1 certified to run around with such a leaker...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Ryan

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I think you may have missed part of what I was saying. If that RDT hose is too restrictive, crankcase pressure will be above what is desired and you will blow seals and pump oil. Nothing may be wrong seal-wise, in that the seal(s) will stop leaking with proper crankcase evacuation. If you take a manometer and check crankcase pressure, you may find it is positive.
James

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I figured that I had plenty of ventilation. Perhaps I should just try a 1" RDT hose and ditch the catch can. You think a good powerwashing and a bigger hose might solve the problem, or did I cook the front seal? I was running full-throttle, uphill, at 80-90mph for a few seconds. Otherwise, I wasn't driving it any differently than any other time. (FWIW, it's got 90K miles on that front crank seal.) I just replaced the rear main due to a slow drip a few months ago...

I have the materials and skills to adapt the CDR to my intake setup, and return the ventilation system to a "stock" style setup. If all else fails, I guess I can look into that...

Ryan

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I remember reading a few years back about someone trying to catch the mess and having the problems you describe to some extent. I think all their seals began leaking some, rather than one seal leaking bad, but you get the point- :puke: at least some oil. I think his stopped leaking when he got everything straightened out.
Personally, I would run your tube to the exhaust. You can get a check valve and welding pipe from ford for this from pretty much anyting that used an air pump, weld in at I guess a 45* angle to achieve maximum suction.
James

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll wash it all off with the Hotsy at the shop tomorrow, and run a straight 1" hose from the banks adaptor for the time being. I'll let it run for a while in my stall and see if the oil leak persists from the front, or if it was indeed a crankcase overpressure issue.

Thanks for the help! I can fix damn near anything on a Toyota...but this Ford diesel stuff is still a learn-as-you-go experience for me!

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from keeping the bulk of the water off the IP, anything else I should know before I go washing this mess off tomorrow? The current plan is tons of degreaser and a Hotsy...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
avoid spraying into the IP valley area. the CDR hole in the turkey pan makes for a direct drain into the crankcase.-cuss
the rest of the engine compartment is open season.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a few years back about someone trying to catch the mess and having the problems you describe to some extent. I think all their seals began leaking some, rather than one seal leaking bad, but you get the point- :puke: at least some oil. I think his stopped leaking when he got everything straightened out.
James

James

That was likely me. I tried several methods of scavenging to try to cut down on my oil consumption, and everyone that wasn't connected directly to the intake below the filter caused leakage at the seals. Didn't seem to matter the diameter of the tubing, or the condenser material(I used steel wool, lengths of tubing in air, pvc piping etc) but if connected to atmosphere, it seemed to cause leakage.

As soon as I put it back to the intake, it stopped leaking(and returned to burning oil)

I'm assuming that this is unique to my old engine(it's got over 400,000 on it now, and has been rebuilt countless times) as the blowby is huge now, and although I just replaced all the valve seals a month ago, it presently goes through about a quart of oil for every tank of fuel. Some leaked, most burned.

For now, oil is cheap.

But, back to the topic. I'd bet that it's the RDT that's doing it.

Put it back to stock for a bit, clean it all up, and see if the leakage stops. I'm betting it will.

Zigg :)

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't see how venting to atmosphere would cause the massive leakage that I've got. I can see a little seepage from the seal, but it's like it blew out completely. The entire front axle is dripping in oil. It's all over the undercarriage. The fan slung oil all over the engine compartment. What's worse is that this engine only has 90k on it, and doesn't burn any appreciable amount of oil at all.

I guess we won't really know anything until I clean it up and positively identify the source of the leak tomorrow. I'm so damn mad at the thing I cant even sleep...

Ryan

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see how venting to atmosphere would cause the massive leakage that I've got. I can see a little seepage from the seal, but it's like it blew out completely. The entire front axle is dripping in oil. It's all over the undercarriage. The fan slung oil all over the engine compartment. What's worse is that this engine only has 90k on it, and doesn't burn any appreciable amount of oil at all.

I guess we won't really know anything until I clean it up and positively identify the source of the leak tomorrow. I'm so damn mad at the thing I cant even sleep...

Ryan
I wouldn't sweat it that bad. If you never pushed past the limits, you'd never know where the breaking point is at.;Sweet heck, outside of a rustproofing adventure, nothing majorly expensive was broken. betcha Icanfixall would love to trade scenarios with you at this moment:eek:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember expressing concern at the 5/8" tubing. I'd stay with 1" and do another test. Hopefully the seal will be OK.