Questions: Turbo Rebuild: Factory Garrett TC4305 Turbo

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Due to circumstances I'll create a separate post for, I had to remove the turbo from the engine recently. While the turbo's off, I am definitely going to rebuild it (mostly just because), and am strongly considering a Wicked Wheel 2 upgrade. I have watched some YouTube videos on the rebuild, as well as read some posts here about it, and it *seems* pretty easy. Here are my questions:

1. Wicked Wheel 2: For the IDI factory turbo, does anyone have experience with or advice about it they'd care to share?

2. For the rebuild kit, I ordered the "PTE Garrett T3 T4 TO4E TO4B Turbo Rebuild Kit" from Turbo Lab of America. ( http://turbolabofamerica.com/garrett-t3-t4-to4e-to4b-turbo-rebuild-kit/ ) I should have asked first, but are there any opinions about that choice? (I can always just eat the cost if negative.)

3. Turbo Rebuild Shop Manual: Does anyone have advice about the works of Brian Smothers, particularly his book "Garrett T3 T04B T04e: Turbo Rebuild Guide and Shop Manual"? ( https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-T3-T...&qid=1546534647&sr=8-1&keywords=smothers+t04b )

4. Lastly, when reinstalling the turbo, the Wye collector and up-pipe appear to just press together. Seems weird to me, like it would leak exhaust and lose pressure on the hot side. Should I just clean those up and press them back together, or would a small amount of hi-temp RTV be in order?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. The whicked wheel is a decent wheel, but going to a billet 60-1 wheel or larger will make much more or a difference since you are changing the size of the wheel and not just the look/design. Myself and @typ4 can do this mod for you.

2. I’ve heard some horror stories about them, do a google search and read up yourself. Their bbb reviews will tell you enough.

3. Smothers makes some great literature, that will do you well.

4. You don’t need to press them together, it’s just a slip fit. They are a big cause for exhaust leaks, if it leaks then try a light coating of ultra copper rtv. If it still leaks contact Russ and see if you can get a leak free new casting. On some of the higher power builds I’ve had to weld the y pipe and up pipe together to keep them from separating.

lakesurfer

Reaction score
@Thewespaul : Thank you. I just ordered the Smothers book because of your advice. Looked up TLoA as you suggested. Is worrisome. The only saving grace is that the complaints seem to be turbo rebuilds, not so much the rebuild kits. I have to balance that with the idea that any mechanic business with 100's of clients will have a few that feel they have real horror stories. That said, I really liked the idea of a 360deg thrust bearing with add'l oil ports. Looks like you have that too. Do you sell rebuild kits for TC4305 with 360 deg thrust bearings?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is an interest I could put some kits together, although I really recommend getting the turbo balanced when you do a rebuild, it makes a huge difference in the turbos responsiveness.

lakesurfer

Reaction score
I really recommend getting the turbo balanced when you do a rebuild, it makes a huge difference in the turbos responsiveness.

Really trying to be frugal, without being stupid of course, which is why I wasn't shopping for a pro-rebuild service in the frst place. Ha....I bet the Smothers book has the same recommendation when it arrives. SMH/Grrr. Decisions....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online