Questions About Timing

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Can the timing change if the IP is not touched and is not worn? Also if your timing is off does this mean you need a new IP or it just needs to be timed. Do people get their trucks timed multiple times over the lifetime of an IP? I was having some issues with poor fuel mileage and white smoke on acceleration and was told to get a return line kit and get it timed instead of replacing the IP and Injectors.
Thanks
Bill

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
Run some diesel klean (made by power service) through it - follow the instructions. I'd run a few tank fulls before doing anything with the timing. Mean time get an injector return line kit (under $30). Kit contains caps, "O" rings, hose, and clips. The kit also contains washers for the injectors; you don't need these unless you remove the injectors.

Now you’re ready for timing.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
As a a pump ages it doesn't spike the fuel pressure as quickly so the timing retards slightly.You can retime it and get a few more years out of it.But there is only so much use you can get out of a pump.I would say if you just wanted a casual driver and puller with no cares for massive power(OH THAT IS HARD TO SAY!) you could in theory go though 2 maybe 3 Cycles of wear retiming.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say it doesn't hurt to "try" different timing settings. Just mark your original position so that you know the original "working" starting point in case changes don't work out.

Just don't get nuts advancing the timing. If it sounds like a PSD you're gonna break something!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
How long has the truck been sitting?

When you bringing that thing down :D

Change the fuel filter and buy 2 cans of seafoam....fill the filter full of seafoam and split the remaing between the tanks and drive it....then have the timing checked with the proper timing tool.....

Inj pumps do wear and some wear more from poor fuel system maint.
These trucks need of some form of lubricity...stanadyne, diesel kleen, howes power service etc...

BTW....hows the critter doing :angel: :D ;Sweet

DieselChemist

Reaction score
The truck before I got it would sit for a few months and then get driven for a day at most, without a new tank of fuel. She never did any type of fuel maitenance on this thing. Neither did we, we didn't know we had to. After I got it, I ran a new filter full of seafoam through it and it really did not seem to make a differance.

It's coming down the first or second week of June

Freight, I'm not looking for power, just a good running truck

The "poop machine" is doing really good, I have to figure out a way to keep him from moving when changing his diaper, there have been a couple times where he has gotten away and leaves a trail.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing changes because of wear. The advance ring, which is moved by the external timing lever has several wear points.... the cam, the pivot, the lever to plunger contact, and the plunger to ring contact. Then the advance ring itself wears. It has lobes that push the plungers in. These lobs wear, resulting in less plunger travel, which results in less fuel being injected for the same throttle setting. Plunger wear can be compensated by adjusting the fuel screw, but the timing will still drift as the cam wears, and that can be compensated for by getting it re-timed.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The truck before I got it would sit for a few months and then get driven for a day at most, without a new tank of fuel.

It's coming down the first or second week of June

The "poop machine" is doing really good, I have to figure out a way to keep him from moving when changing his diaper, there have been a couple times where he has gotten away and leaves a trail.

Diesel fuel can go bad just like gasoline :eek:

June....;Sweet

"leaves a trail" :rotflmao LOL have ya been "squirted" yet :eek: LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online