Questions About Manual Swap

Austin Timm

Reaction score
I've been looking at buying a diesel truck, and found a 94 Ford F250 4x4 with the 7.3 IDI Turbo for a good price.

Problem being (there's always a catch) the truck needs starter work, worst case a flywheel, and the transmission is acting funny between 3rd and OD.

For more money, the seller would include a 92 F250 7.3 N/A 4x4 with a 5 speed that has a bad engine.

However, after some research, I've read that the turbo engines are externally balanced and have unique flywheels.

Would the 5 speed and flywheel from the 92 bolt up to the turbo motor, or would I need to find a flywheel from a Turbo engine because of the balance issue?

The seller is asking 4k for both. In this area a clean IDI truck might bring 5-6k. After selling what I can off of the parts truck and scrapping what's left I would probably come out ahead, but I think for the same money I could buy a 7.3 PSD that already runs, or a decent Chevy with the 6.5.

I have no problem swapping a trans myself, that is no big deal.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem being (there's always a catch) the truck needs starter work, worst case a flywheel, and the transmission is acting funny between 3rd and OD.
Starters are a regular maintenance item on these trucks. Easy replacement.
Is the turbo truck an E4OD(auto)?
If so, it has a flex plate, not a flywheel. Similar concept, but a lot lighter.

However, after some research, I've read that the turbo engines are externally balanced and have unique flywheels.

Would the 5 speed and flywheel from the 92 bolt up to the turbo motor, or would I need to find a flywheel from a Turbo engine because of the balance issue?
They will bolt up; the engines are both externally balanced, and the balance is slightly different between Turbo and N/A BLOCKS.
Make sure that the '94 turbo motor's serial number starts with "7.3TU2" NOT "7.3D". If it's a 7.3D, it's a N/A block in any case.

NO MATTER which block you have, you will want to buy a LuK SMF kit, assuming it comes with the stock DMFs. The stock DMF is total crap, and will slip on you under heavy load(It's not the clutch, but the flywheel itself).
You can get LuK SMF kits for either "turbo" or "N/A" blocks, for similar prices($260-300 for the kit).

Austin Timm

Reaction score
Starters are a regular maintenance item on these trucks. Easy replacement.
Is the turbo truck an E4OD(auto)?
If so, it has a flex plate, not a flywheel. Similar concept, but a lot lighter.

They will bolt up; the engines are both externally balanced, and the balance is slightly different between Turbo and N/A BLOCKS.
Make sure that the '94 turbo motor's serial number starts with "7.3TU2" NOT "7.3D". If it's a 7.3D, it's a N/A block in any case.

NO MATTER which block you have, you will want to buy a LuK SMF kit, assuming it comes with the stock DMFs. The stock DMF is total crap, and will slip on you under heavy load(It's not the clutch, but the flywheel itself).
You can get LuK SMF kits for either "turbo" or "N/A" blocks, for similar prices($260-300 for the kit).

Yes, the 94 is an automatic.

Seller says that if the engine is plugged in or if the weather is warm enough it will start, if it has to crank for more than a second the starter just grinds. Engine is supposed to be strong with little blow by.

Thats great that I can buy the Luk kit and be good to go.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it that's not including the new flywheel. How much is a decent one going for these days?
Including the new flywheel.
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/5266-07145569.html
For a N/A motor - 07-226 - $275 with free shipping

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/5270-05430135.html
For a Turbo motor - 07-230 - $266 with free shipping

Seller says that if the engine is plugged in or if the weather is warm enough it will start,
Glow plugs/controller issues

if it has to crank for more than a second the starter just grinds.
Damaged ring gear on the flywheel?

Engine is supposed to be strong with little blow by.
You'll never know on blow by because it all gets sucked through the CDR and into the intake. If you do take that off and look... prepare to be amazed.
These engines produce so much blow by, even new, that trying to run a road-draft tube instead makes it look like the truck is on fire. *massive* blow by.

Last edited:

Austin Timm

Reaction score
I don't think it's a good enough deal to justify the work.

If I hold out, I think I can find a 7.3 PSD that runs for the same money.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good enough deal to justify the work.

If I hold out, I think I can find a 7.3 PSD that runs for the same money.

In the long run the idi would be cheaper comparing part costs to fix when the stroke breaks down. Around here you can't touch a stroke with any less than 200k on the clock for less than 5k and they are usually junk.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
In the long run the idi would be cheaper comparing part costs to fix when the stroke breaks down. Around here you can't touch a stroke with any less than 200k on the clock for less than 5k and they are usually junk.

Agreed. I'd rather buy a SMFW kit and do a 5spd swap on a factory IDIT than get into another powerstroke.