Question for the rebuilders

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you rebuild your trucks (frame up rebuilds) Do you replace the wiring system with a new one? (painless kit)

I'm planning on doing a rebuild of My 91 crew cab (Medusa) with lots of customization. Not going to go into great details at the moment on my plans. I have a DT 360 to put in it, not sure if I'm going to switch it to manual or leave it auto yet. But once it starts it's going to take a few years to build. I'll try to post pictures/update as much as I can. Probably ask more questions than anything.

Once I get Medusa done I think I will work on my resent purchase which is a hot mess! Think it use to be a gas with auto converted to diesel with manual. Wiring it is a mess!!!

It' been named Johnny Cash. 86 F350 crew cab 6.9 Zf5 4x4. Sitting on 37" tires. has parts on it from 86-2011. I didn't build this one but plan to save it later on. For now it's my DD.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The universal kits do not work well with these trucks if you are going to use any of the Ford components. In the end what you will have is a non-standard fuse box, new wiring, with splices everywhere to old crusty Ford connectors so you can use the Ford components. Not a way to go forward and make it more reliable in my opinion. Most of your wiring problems will be in the old connectors that you have to re-use, and look at all the splice connections you are introducing.

Now if you were going to make a custom cluster and dash with all aftermarket toggle switches, then that might be a different story. And remember any time you do this and deviate from the factory wiring, you will not have a diagram unless you make one yourself.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the painless harnesses, good quality stuff and actually local to me, but I wouldn’t use them on our trucks unless you were doing an engine swap or diesel conversion into a much older vehicle. Technically, you don’t have to splice anything, you can still source the pins for the connectors so you could just wire directly into the stock ford connectors with your own harness, but it’s much easier to just replace the messed up connectors with new or to just buy a used harness that’s in good shape.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point I think the only original thing to the eye is going to be the body everything else will be customized including he lighting. Which is going to require a bit of fabrication, For now it's just a thought and a few sketches on a napkin Just hope I can achieve my thought process.

But thanks for the info on the wiring kits. I kept seeing they have GM ignition switch. Not to keen on that idea. I'll figure something out. It's going to be a while before I start and get it finish.

Right now need to address some wiring issues with Johnny Cash truck. (has no reverse lights, Heck I don't even see a wire going to the trans anywhere.) Hopefully have time tomorrow to put my Bilstein 5100 series shocks on it. It's missing a shock at the moment and beat you to death!. (A.K.A Bouncy House at the moment)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on a 86, but on my 89, there was a green plastic wiring plug underneath the brake booster area. This plug was the complete trans and transfer case harness wiring. Maybe the 86 is the same and you can look in this area for your wires you need.

I was converting my 89 from a c6 to a zf 5 speed. I had a donor 89 truck right there to get parts from. That's how I figured out the wiring, and all I had to do was to unplug the c6 complete trans/transfer case harness, and then plug in the zf harness in that same plug under the brake booster. The different reverse light switch on the zf plugged right up, and the zf harness had a jumper wire spliced into the two red/blue neutral safety switch wires that were located on the side of the c6, but were not needed on the zf. It was all just plug and play.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned up my factory wiring, but I was keeping the factory dash and drivetrain. I did clean out the E$0d wiring since I went manual. If your going custom drivetrain and dash I'd say anything goes.