Question about turbos

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Howdy Everyone!

This past weekend my soon-to-be-father-in-law and I were working on my fiancees truck due to some issue with it running rough. Although we haven't figured that problem out (and I will probably start a different thread on it), we noticed something very peculiar about her truck. To start with, her truck is a '94 F-250 IDIT. I told him that the turbo on her truck was an ATS 093 wastegated turbo. He then proceeded to ask me why in the hell the name GARRETT was stamped on the side of it!!! Sure enough, he was correct. Clear as day, the name Garrett was stamped into the turbo. We then took a look at MY project ('94 F-350 IDIT) sitting behind his shop and all be darned if the turbo on my truck says Garrett on it as well.

We did some researching on the internet, and found there were some people with the same question as us, but there wasn't a good answer. The interesting thing though...is this seems to pertain only to a 1994 IDIT, and not the 1993. So, my question is, what is going on with Garrett being stamped into the turbo on both of these trucks, when I have only ever heard of ATS being the stock turbo? The only thing I could think of was because 1994 was the year Ford switched to the Powerstroke and they came with a Garrett turbo. Therefore, Garrett put turbos on a few IDIs before the Powerstroke was released...

I find this kinda hard to believe, but it was the only theory I could come up with... So, does anyone know what the deal is here and could explain to me what is going on?

Thanks!!!

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
garret actually made the turbos for ats if im not correct someone here will correct me but im pretty sure u can use a garret t3 rebuild kit on the ats 088 and 093 turbos because they were manufactured by garret, except the 088 uses a T04E on the exhaust side

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats what it is.. ATS is a company simalar to Banks. My wastegated Banks turbo is made by Mistubishi. Most people on the street see our Ford diesels having a Ford engine. But we have an International made engine in them. Only the current year Ford truck actually has a Ford built diesel ingine in it. The duramax engine block was made by Lamborgini I think. Or some other Eruopean country.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
ATs designs the kit. The pipe routing, turbo mounting, where everything bolts together, etc.

They then picked a turbo to use with their kit, which is a Garret T3/T4 hybrid, and that's what they used. Everything I'd ATS except the outsourced Garrett turbo they used.

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Alright, that clears it up for me then. Thank you very much for the quick responses! I will probably be starting another thread in the near future about this particular truck not running correctly, and it might have something to do with the turbo. Just gotta do some research about posting pictures first....I am kinda new to all this.

Thanks again for the quick replies!