Question about the tranny cooler on 6 liter trucks

Reaction score
I have not been around many six liter powered SuperDuties so I do not know about what they have. I was at a shop today that was swapping in a new six liter. On the ground was the radiator and a huge tranny cooler. This thing was like two feet by two feet. I am wondering if this cooler is only on certain models. Is there a special reason for such a huge cooler? I have cooled my E4ODs with much smaller coolers and put them through a lot of abuse. I am wondering what the benefit if to such a huge cooler.

Last edited:

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need it to cool the fluid in the torqshift, engineers wouldn't put that large of a cooler on if it didn't need it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
different trans=different needs. the power out put of the 6.0l is MUCH higher than your idi or even an OBS psd thus meaning it "can" haul more. that makes more heat in the trans.

you can over cool a trans. what cooler did you end up going with?

Reaction score
The over cooling thing is what I was wondering about. I forgot the brand but the cooler I am running is for commercial trucks rated to pull (I think) 30 thousand pounds.

sootman73

Reaction score
My only thing with the E4OD is that it has very poor design when it comes to the valvebody and this causes un-needed heat in the trans.

The 6.0l era had the Ford engineers going overboard in their designs and put an extra large cooler, high volume pump, larger cooler lines, and external spin-off filter. Finally decided to over-do something than to leave it close to design limits and this is why you dont have to worry about the 5r110 trans ;Sweet

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure you can swap one in. May have to fab mounts and lines but it shouldn't bee very hard.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as to much cooling, if you run a thermostat to your cooler. The 6.0 trucks also had an in line 'toilet paper' roll filter in conjunction with the in pan filter.

The 6.0 5r110 cooler in the pickups was amazing, the same engine combo rated at less power in the E vans, still had problems because of the ford ranger sized transmission cooler, I had a couple of trans failures with vans, usually stemming from the lockup fan taking a crap out, causing slightly high radiator temps, witch then had the trans temps sky rocket into the 230-250 range, witch of course, killed the amazing 5r110.

Bottom line, 6.0 PSD transmission cooler in a pickup, one of the best factory coolers ever. Some one needs to pioneer a way to mount it under a bedside corner with a fan and some louvers directing air to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online