Question about Main Beraing Installation.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 89 Manual says to install upper Main Bearings 1,2,4 & % and lay the Crank. Then it says to roll the #3 into the Saddle. I tried that and it wants to turn the Crank as it goes in and that walks the other mains loose as the Crank rotates. Why not just lay the #3 shell into the Saddle before laying the Crank?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty stupid. Put in all the bearings then lay the crank in.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i put all mine it at once... i guess that is their way of getting the thrust bearing in straight up and down.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Just make sure the holes in the bearings line up with the holes in the block. Make certain the bearings are "level". Then very very carefully set the crank in without turning the bearings.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've built hundreds of engines and every now and then reading the manual messes up my mind. That's the fourth mistake I've found in this manual... The first one cost me over $100... Now I ask... And Yeah, I can even spell bearing when I'm not in a hurry...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you rolled the crank in the wrong direction and the bearings just rolled out. But this information does sound suspect.... I set all of my bearings in the main saddles first. Then set the crank in carefully. Remember there is an upper and a lower bearing half... You don't want to mix that up...:sly