pyro temps

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a auto meter pyro installed in my truck today, ran it home on the highway and it was reading 1000 to 1200 . going 77 mph for 30 miles is this normal:dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds way too high, unless you were heavily loaded and going uphill the entire trip :shocked:

Any info on your truck? What tranny and rear end gears? 4x4 or 4x2? Stock tires/suspension, or what? Where exactly was the thermocouple mounted?

I don't know much about Autometers in particular, so I can't say if it's a gauge issue or a problem with the truck and/or the conditions, but that CERTAINLY doesn't sound right :shocked:

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds way too high, unless you were heavily loaded and going uphill the entire trip :shocked:

Any info on your truck? What tranny and rear end gears? 4x4 or 4x2? Stock tires/suspension, or what? Where exactly was the thermocouple mounted?

I don't know much about Autometers in particular, so I can't say if it's a gauge issue or a problem with the truck and/or the conditions, but that CERTAINLY doesn't sound right :shocked:

410 gears, automatic , 2wd , running mt, stock tires, its mounted right afer the passenger side manifold

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
ive been told not to let them exceed 1100 for longer than a few seconds???? is your pump turned up?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which automatic, C6 or E4OD? What year's the truck?

Is there any chance you're starving it for air, or the parking brake isn't releasing, or anything on those lines? Also, are you turbocharged or n/a?

Just trying to cover all possible bases, but my guess is the problem's with the gauge...you might check all the connections and make sure that everything's good and shiny and hooked up properly :)

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
1250 is max temp in the manifold for only a few seconds, 1100 is a better sustained temp

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
At 75 with turbo, fuel screw turned 1 full turn and torque screw turned 4.5 turns I run 500. I've herd that the N/A trucks heat up faster, but wow that's way to high. Check your air filter, and exhaust, if either are restrictive you will have high EGTs.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Mine cruises at about 1000 at highway speeds. Wish it was less but it lives, its seen the peg on the pyro too though..

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think you should see more than 850 just cruising down the highway unless you have a load or really turned up pump. My pump is turned up all the way and I never see more 700 driving 65mph empty.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to get your pump timed. no way it should be that high running empty. If you put a load on you would melt down. Did you get the appropriate thermocouple and wire to go with your pyrometer?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you running #2 for fuel? Dumb question, but I had to ask and we are all assuming...

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running #2 for fuel? Dumb question, but I had to ask and we are all assuming...

Running regular fuel, no used oil, I took it back to the shop yesterday, he tought it was a bad pyro, he put 3 on, same results, he retimed the pump, it all checked out,I hope he sorts it out today, everything is stock, the only thing new is injectors and a return line kit. I am leaving for a 800 mile trip to ohio in it , and pulling a tractor back to nebraska , on tuesday, My nerves are shot!!!!!!!!!!!!:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Stock exhaust? If so, how quiet does the truck idle?

When we pulled my stock muffler off it must have weighed 50-75 pounds it seemed, full of soot I would guess. Maybe yours is all clogged up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online