pyro temps

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well jack all 4 tires off of the ground with trans in nuetral and see if all the tires turn freely. If that turns out to be good then for some reason you are dumping way to much fuel into your motor or there is a drag on the motor itself somewhere. I don't know what else to add to all the other replies.:dunno

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Smoke isnt a very good indicator, mine hardly puffs smoke and will bury the pyro.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going uphill i barely pegged 900, I would check your air filter and soup bowl delete, check to see if your alt and other pulleys are seizing. not sure if tstat/radiator can aid to really high egts but I imagine they could cause it, she topped off and flowing well?

does it seem abnormally sluggish or the usual idi power?

might turn the fuel down while your at it.

hope it helps... goodluck

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a auto meter pyro installed in my truck today, ran it home on the highway and it was reading 1000 to 1200 . going 77 mph for 30 miles is this normal:dunno

Was it near full throttle? RPM's? What's your elevation above sea level? What's the EGT at idle? If the idle EGT is higher then ~250 F, the gauge probably has issues.

For reference: Mine runs ~1200 F at full throttle at +3000 RPM (~1000 ft altitude). TC is in the manifold between 7 & 8, which is probably one of the hottest locations possible. Cruise at 60 MPH on flat pavement is ~550 F. Mine is an AutoMeter too. Air filter is number one thing to check, using a Filter-Minder so I can keep an eye on the differential across the filter (plus the soup-bowl and air intake).

EDIT: BTW the total differential across my NAPA (paper type) air filter, plus the soup bowl and the stock air intake is 7 inches of water at 3000 RPM. Measured with a manometer at the top of the air filter housing inside the soup bowl. I suspect 5 to 6 was the filter, the remaining 1 to 2 inches of water being the soup bowl and the air intake.

Last edited: