pyro questions

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I just installed my Banks pyrometer today,(thanks PAfixitman ;Sweet ) On the way home, I did a couple of test runs. Accelerating from a standing stop to merge onto the highway, the temps would run up to 1100* fairly quickly and I had to let off before they were done climbing. I had 2nd gear wound out and was in third when I had to lift. While cruising, the temps were 600-700. Does this sound right? My IP was rebuilt last year and is at factory specs, I think. They would not "turn up the pump" because it would void their warrenty. Sounds like there is no more room to turn it up. What do you all think?
John H.

pafixitman

Reaction score
160K John,
Other's will tell you they never see anything greater than 800 etc, but your numbers sound like mine always were. I about :number2 myself when I discovered where it was located. My high numbers were always towing. Unloaded I hit 1000* regularly and rather easy. I do recall some discussion at STD where different makes of gauges read different. IIRC, Banks was always on the high side, but then again, John also has a Banks.(John Haggerty - where is yours installed?)

It hit 6.5 lbs of boost, 1100* climbing a hill today pulling a skid steer w/ bucket and a trencher attachment. I'll pay attention in the morning and try to see where mine runs unloaded.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
My temp probe is located in the y-pipe on the driver's side, about 2" from the flange. I tried to get it as close as possible to the exhaust manifold. I'll go on a long highway ride tonight and see where it is on a long trip. Maybe my WMO mix is causing it. I can switch to the pure #2 tank and see if it makes a difference.
John

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wish i didnt install my pyro.on the highway going up to 75MPH unloaded i can hit 1200 very easily.with a car on it i can hit 1300 with no problem!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :number2 :number2

and my probe is in the manifold between the first and second exhaust ports

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
at this point on a Saturday night, maybe i should be posting in the "hammered posters" thread, but...

has anyone noticed that his sig does NOT say he's running a turbo? if i am assuming correctly, John, you have a naturally aspirated (non-turbo) 6.9 - correct?
i see "Banks Power Pack A/C lid" in your sig, but that's just a cool hat for a N/A, right?

i say your pyro is spot on if my assumptions are correct. IIRC, when i installed my pyro, i could push 1050 empty (but i had to try HARD). {remember AT this summer Ron? :D }
open up the intake even more than that Banks hat (see my garage or diesel_dog_catcher 's post) & i bet your EGT's go down. add WMO to the fuel tank & they'll go down another 50*. keep your air filter very clean. i believe an open exhaust may help some :Sly . my 246k OE pump is screwed 4 flats, BTW.

sounds like my probe is about where yours is (first pic). my temps don't sound too far off from yours either (second pic)... i will tell you that when i first installed my pyro, i thought my temps were outrageously high. after watchinfg it a day or so, i realized that i would have to really work the truck to keep the temps up anywhere close to the dangerous range for any amount of time...

currently, i run about 550* @ 2100 rpm @ 75 mph on level ground. that can quiclky go to 900* if i'm standing on the go pedal up a decent grade.
i suggest you take a long drive & play with the pedal & watch & see - maybe add some weight to the bed for a little test?

Attachments

• thermocouple.JPG
    thermocouple.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 20
  • pyro mount.JPG
    pyro mount.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 19

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
160k87F250,

No worries mate. Alum melts at 1200ish ° and then it takes a little bit of time before the piston actually absorbs that heat so your fine... Heck I will bury my pyro past 1500 when I'm proving to the little ricers that they just can't hang with the big boys LOL

But then again I kill IDI's for a hobby :eek: (The E was prove of that)...

No seriously being non turbo I would expect your numbers to be in that range. I would not personally (I can't believe I'm saying this) turn up the pump anymore unless you want to watch that pyro like a hawk. You do have some room to turn it up but again it would require you keeping a close eye on the pyro while pulling hills with any kind of a load. That takes the fun out of driving these diesel (again can't believe I just typed that)...

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Frank,
Correct, my truck is non-turbo and my probe is very much like yours. I'm already running 21% WMO. The Banks air cleaner lid is just that, the top of the air filter. I already have the truck straight piped. Just got back from a long test drive, and in the cooler night air, I could barely hit 1000*. Cruising down hill, it was at 400-500, while going up hill it would climb to 700-800. I think everything is OK, I really had to hammer it to get to 1100 this afternoon, and it's hard to drive wide open throttle all the time, although I try ;Sweet . I was surprised how much it varies when driving. I guess the real test will be when it's hot outside, so I have a little bit of time before that.
John

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Something else to consider also is to go with something along the line what I have just completed(see ram air woes). ;Sweet
My numbers were running the same as you but with the pump turned up a bit. Since the cold air induction conversion, my EGT's have dramatically decreased by 100F. Before running at 75mph on flat ground I could maintain 800F, now 700F.
Now I really have to work the ole gal to get her up to 1100F ;Sweet

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Ram Air

I've thought aout the ram air set up. What I want to do is get a 2nd air cleaner and rob the snorkle off of it and add it to the air cleaner that I have. I want to run a dual snorkle air cleaner and have inlet hoses on both sides going to the rad support. My only problem is the engine dipstick is in the way of the path of the r/s hose, plus I have to modify the r/s of the core support for air induction. All in good time.
John

pafixitman

Reaction score
160K John,
I hit 350 - 650 just driving to get coffee and go to the job site this morning. Stand on it or go up a grade and I am up past 900. Heck I was at idle @Rutters this morning and I was 300. Now coming back tonight I had a Bob Cat S175, bucket and trench attachment on an equipment trailer (loaded tongue heavy) and I saw 1100 but the whistle was priceless as she worked!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John, your numbers sound right on to me. I'd tweak the pump. It's not that going over 1100 should be a habit, but it takes a little while for the heat to build up, and that extra throttle can be used for short durations, or just to smoke out the guy your targeting. LOL

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
i have the fuel turnd up on my n/a truck, but im affraid to put a pyro on, i dont wana kno my temps, haha i bet they are way up there when im pullen the pass with my truck on my trailer
i was gona wait untill i put my turbo on to hook up my gages, maybe i should do di it now

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you REALLY should. You're actually more likely to kill an n/a engine with high EGT's than a turbo engine! Someone (I think it was Lucky LaRue on here) put a pyro on a n/a completely stock engine, and was really (unpleasantly) surprised at how high his EGT's were...

IMHO, with a turned-up pump on an n/a engine, without a pyro, you're asking for trouble. Just my $.02...