Punching oil drain holes

Chadillac

Reaction score
Hello all! I am excited to be finally asking for help instead of reading everyone else’s posts.
I am chasing an oil leak and replacing things that could possibly be a problem in the future along the way.
I was wondering exactly where to punch the holes for better oil drainage off of my banks turbo. The drain pipe was just siliconed in with no grommet. So do I just stick an ice pick through the drain hole and do it that way or is there something else I need to do? Thanks for reading.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, you just punch a hole through the baffling in the valley pan, directly under where the oil drain goes

Chadillac

Reaction score
Alright. I will definitely have morequestions as I try and isolate this oil leak. Thank you

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I use a punch attachment on an air hammer. It's faster, but don't go too deep with it. Whatever you do, don't use a drill you won't get the shavings out of there without removing the valley pan.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome. In unfortunately I don’t have access to an air hammer so I’m going to use a gutter nail and hope for the best

Runningaford

Reaction score
It's not that thick of metal; easy enough actually to punch through. My truck had a couple leaks when I bought it; 1 was the lift pump, and the other turned out to be the return fuel lines; when they leak, most of these engines have built up gunk/grease, and the fuel cuts through it, and ends up looking like oil once dripped to the ground.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted.. Welcome to the forum. Most any long drift punch or center punch can make the holes you want in the pan under the intake manifold.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Got it punched with a gutter nail and it was a piece of cake. Taking that turbo off was an entirely different story!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance