pump install timing issue

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm reinstalling a new pump & need to get the timing marks lined up. I know there is alittle Y on the main gear on the motor. But due to the design I can not find it. Is there a mark on the top of the snake gear? I don't see how you can find it without pulling the water pump off which I'm not doing.

So how do you all do it?

Thanks-Cat

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark is on the front face of the gear. Try using a polished steak or butter knife as a mirror to see it. Any reason why you took the gear cover off?

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....but you don't have to pull the cover to remove the injector pump and lines.:confused:

Anyway, I would get a strong light, and maybe try and pry the front cover away slightly to make it a little easier to find the timing mark.

Move the engine to TDC by the crank pulley to get it close to the correct position then start your search for the mark.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At Engine TDC the Y mark will be right at the very top. That should help you narrow down where it is.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well you seem to have done the easy job but... Now its the hard job of getting the marks lined up. It can be done but its no easy job either. Look in the section near the top of the page. Gees... I forgot what the name of it is. Anyway you can make a mark on both sides of the gear and line up the gear timing marks. Its more involved that just that but its clearly explained in the gear timing artical. Please don't remove the pump that way again. Its lots more work for you now but it can be done without removing anymore parts....

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the glow plug from the number one cylinder and when you are expelling air as you approach TDC on the crankshaft pulley you will know you are on the compression stroke. Then you should be able to take a bent piece of wire and feel the dot on the bottom timing gear. Lay the dot for the top gear right on top of it and you should be set to go.;Sweet
I know, cause I did the same thing the first time I removed a pump.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I used a pick that was bent on a 45 degree angle to find the "Y" mark on the main gear. I then marked the tooth above it with a permanent marker (reflects when a flashlight is shined on it :dunno) and then set the upper (IP) gear on and lined the IP gear mark up with the tooth I had previously colored with the permanent marker. Placed the cover back on and bolted the IP back up.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gare, and ya know darn well to not remove the timing gear with the IP - was there any beer involved in making the decision to do so anyway? ;p

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda sad when we have great tech articles to guide people. ;Really Even if they don't want to ask, or are impatient for an answer. :backoff