Pulling engine and trans together?

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have that same engine hoist, just lifting an idi with it makes me nervous, I don't think I could do engine/trans/t-case all together.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always install them with the trans installed, just pull the shifter tower off and dangle the angle just right, you’ll need to have the crossmember off. If you’re lift isn’t meant to handle the weight, don’t attempt it.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that same engine hoist, just lifting an idi with it makes me nervous, I don't think I could do engine/trans/t-case all together.

It’s heavy for sure but it well with in the limits of what it claims it can lift. I had it on the 1 ton setting.

I always install them with the trans installed, just pull the shifter tower off and dangle the angle just right, you’ll need to have the crossmember off. If you’re lift isn’t meant to handle the weight, don’t attempt it.

Yeah I was having a hard time clearing the shifter tower when I was pulling it out. I can see where that would make it much easier. The trans cross member has already been removed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I pulled them together once only. That was a nightmare. The truck had been wrecked so I cut everything that I could to get it out of the way and it was still awful. I'd NEVER try to install them together. The transmission is very easy to line back up with the engine. It's light enough that you can rock it back and forth on the jack and even lift the front up a little bit if you have to. After I pull off the top (ZF5) I'll stick it in gear. Then when I've just about got it back together, I can grab the rear splines on the transmission and turn the splines which turn everything up to the front and this helps you get the input splines lined up with the clutch. When I have a couple of bellhousing bolts tight and I have it sitting back on the crossmember, I'll then put the transmission back into neutral before I try to reinstall the top of the transmission.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I've pulled an IDI from one of my van, I've had to disconnect the tranny. With just the engine, it's like trying to give birth to a rhinoceros. I can't imagine the PITA it would be to pull with the tranny connected.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media