Pulling engine and trans together?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys I am in the process of removing the engine and trans from my doner truck (93 4x4 single cab 5 speed). I have everything in hooked and it does not seem to want to come out all together. My ram gave out on my engine hoist before I was able to try it again but the oil pan does not want to come over the cross member/axle. The top of the radiator support has been cut and the bumper is removed. Am I fighting a loosing battle or do you all have any tips? I’m going to get another ram for my hoist first thing in the morning and I will be back at it. If it matters I am using the factory lifting points with a chain on the engine try try to get it out.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
This is what I am working with and the bumper has been taken off too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to give the engine a lot of angle, and use a jack under the trans mount to lift the oil pan past the crossmember.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you pull the rest of the front clip
I guess I could but I need to figure out how to get the engine higher at this point.

You need to give the engine a lot of angle, and use a jack under the trans mount to lift the oil pan past the crossmember.

I’ll try grabbing the chain closer to the front of the engine and try the jack placement you are talking about. I was using a jack earlier with a 2x4 on it and lifting up at the drain plug area on the trans.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I got it. Once I got the new ram in my hoist I repositioned the hoist and was able to eventually get it out but it did take some pulling any prying. I also needed to cut more of the exhaust off, I had only cut it once in the rear just after the point where the two sides of the engine join. Also I had not remembered to unhook my fuel return line. Now I need to separate them and get the engine on a stand.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now that I have the parts out what do you all think about putting it back in? I have read some threads that people have had issues getting the trans to line back up with the engine. Would it be easier just to put them back together on the ground then put them back in my truck together? Or would it be too hard to line mounts up? What are your thoughts?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If was me doing it , the engine would go in first then the transmission. In is very hard getting the engine in with the 5sp in place. Ask me how I know. :(

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If was me doing it , the engine would go in first then the transmission. In is very hard getting the engine in with the 5sp in place. Ask me how I know. :(

Thanks for the advice. If I put them in separate then I would put the engine in first for sure. I am just wondering if it would be any easier putting them in already mated together so there are not alignment issues trying to get them to mate when putting them in separate.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
how bad are the body mounts? if you could zip the front to cab mounts and take off the front clip you could tilt the cab up. that should make things much easier.

i have pulled engine/trans combos before but never put one in that way. if they are half as hard just getting out when you don't have to worry much about alignment i think i would do it separately installing them.

and.....
man who run on front of car get tired, man who run behind car get exhausted