Pull starting... Any tips?

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's 5 degrees with a wind chill of -12 right now. I had the truck plugged in last night, started right up this morning and came to school no problem. That was at 7 am, and I finished up at about 3:15. Went out to go home and no start:mad::mad::mad:. I usually drive it during lunch when it's this cold to keep stuff somewhat warm and have no problems, but I didn't today and now I see I can't do that. I have thick jumper cables, so I'm going to try that but I have a feeling it just isn't going to be enough. I'm wanting to try to pull start it, but wanted to see if anyone has any insight first. Anybody pull start these trucks before in the cold with success? When is the best time to have the glow plugs cycle? What gear should I do it in? I have 3:50's on 33's.

Thanks

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to pull start my truck after a week of sitting in -20 to -40 hunting in late November and had the starter die, most of my glow plugs are dead so I have signal wire off of the glow plug solinoid and little snort of ether and short pull later she roared to life.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to pull start my truck after a week of sitting in -20 to -40 hunting in late November and had the starter die, most of my glow plugs are dead so I have signal wire off of the glow plug solinoid and little snort of ether and short pull later she roared to life.

Well that gives me hope. What gear and how fast did you get it going before you let out the clutch?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
If your on gravel or snow, and your 4x4, put it in 4HI, put it in 2nd, and pop the clutch soon as you pick up abit of speed.

No problem ever pull starting these old pigs.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tires start sliding, put it in a higher gear. When it starts firing I dare you to look in the rearview mirror. You would not believe the smoke that will come out of the tailpipe starting it this way.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. Its gonna smoke but that clears up when you start making heat in the cylinders to burn the fuel.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got er going and got home. Thanks guys! Put a tow strap on the front and then the mighty little 2wd V6 Dakota did the pulling and to my surprise everything went perfectly. Put it in 2nd gear in 4 hi since the parking lot wasn't cleared very well and it surprisingly grabbed when I let out the clutch and MAN what a sound that thing made right as it was starting. I didn't think to look in the mirror though, it must've been quite a sight. Thanks again guys

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you have it running again. Thats what success feels like when the planets line up for you.:sly:D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had to pullstart with a turbo pt cruiser before. Did it just fine too lol

Almost had to use the prius c. That woulda been hilarious

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about one of those little Honda "suitcase" generators to run the block heater for a bit when you are isolated from an electrical outlet. I wonder how those things pull start in below zero temps. For the price, I guess maybe you could go for a diesel fired block heater for a little more, but the generator would have other uses as well.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had to pullstart with a turbo pt cruiser before. Did it just fine too lol

Almost had to use the prius c. That woulda been hilarious

Man that's awesome, I would've loved to see that lol

Glad you have it running again. Thats what success feels like when the planets line up for you.:sly:D

Thanks, I am too. It really was perfect the way everything went

I've thought about one of those little Honda "suitcase" generators to run the block heater for a bit when you are isolated from an electrical outlet. I wonder how those things pull start in below zero temps. For the price, I guess maybe you could go for a diesel fired block heater for a little more, but the generator would have other uses as well.

That's a good idea, but I don't know if I could justify the cost just because it normally isn't as cold as it's been (here at least). It was only a couple degrees above 0 when I did it last night, and like -10 with the wind chill. It coughed a little bit and then came to life but it did not sound very good at first. It cleared up though

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about one of those little Honda "suitcase" generators to run the block heater for a bit ...
F

For what one of those things costs you could just buy a little honda car to drive back and forth when its this cold. Holy cow they're proud of those little generators!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online