puff the magic IDI

rip van sparky

Reaction score
well my truck has always had a small craving for rotella, a few days ago I noticed a rather impressive cloud of smoke as I was tooling along. Normally smoke is good when wanted, but this smoke was a lovely shade of blue. :puke: It quickly cleared up and so I chose to ignore the problem. Well, with each new day has come more smoke more frequently and for a longer duration, so I can't ignore it any longer. It has lots after startup, even if only sitting for a few minutes, and also just appears while driving then goes away. The truck has no change in behavior other than "fill up the oil and check the fuel, Sam". So I am guessing valve stem seals. I replaced the seals on my chebby 350 and they helped it, somewhat. Well o gurus of the IDI, your knowledge is eagerly sought. Or opinions, or advice, or thoughts. your humble servant, john :cry:

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my trucks used a quart of oil every 500 miles until I replaced the CDR and now doesn't use oil at all. The cause of the oil consumption became apparent to me when I added the turbo. I need to remove the inlet hose and there was a pool of oil setting there in only a few miles. That also stopped after changing the CDR.

gool luck

akoldnav

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem.

Where is the CDR? Is it the cone shaped thing behind the intake by the fire wall?

How do I take it off and clean it???

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Kris K said:
I have the same problem.

Where is the CDR? Is it the cone shaped thing behind the intake by the fire wall?

How do I take it off and clean it???

Yes it is behind the intake and I believe you need 11 or 12 metric wrench to remove the 2 bolts that hold it in place. You can clean it or get a new one for around $30 or get an rdt and forget about the cdr for ever.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a RDT? What dose it do, Is it the same as a CDR? Dose it hook on the same?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
- Road Draft Tube
- vents oil steam out of the cranckcase
- NO, much better
- not neccesaryli you can get a gear cover adapter from banks nd plug the hole on the back (behind the intake).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Road Draft Tube is in our Frequently Asked Questions. Surely you've read it. :backoff