Psd oil filter ok?

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an oil filter, here at Walmart they're only 10 bucks but it is the ph3786 which is for the Powerstroke the filter I need is ph3766 will this filter work anyways?

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will work, but if you can I’d get the Motorcraft FL1995 (PSD Filter) V.S. the Fram. It gives you more filter media, better internal construction and an extra quart of oil (11qt total). It’s also $10 at Walmart

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I was looking at that one... I just want to make sure the threads will fit on my 89 idi.... I didn't specify because of the forum but now that I think of it I don't want to risk it.... so if I get that filter but am only running 9.4 liters will that be an issue?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of us run the larger filter. Only reason im not is because I have a case of short filters.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please don't run any Fram filter on your engines of any type. They have been proven to do a very poor job filtering oil, air or fuel.If its the ONLY filter that will "get you home".. Well then use it. Baldwin makes what many feel is a better filter than the Motorcraft FL1995. BTW the 1995 power stroke filter cleans better than the motorcraft filter designed for our idi engine. Reason is the power stroke oil is used to fire the electronic injectors and that pressure reaches well above 20,000 lbs. Some high profromance psd pumps will boost that pressure in excess of 50,000 lbs too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On the PSD, the HPOP won't put out that much pressure. More like 4,000 psi max.
But yes, clean oil is very important.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the fl1995 - cheap, decently good(if Ford puts their own name on it), and widely available.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whete do I find the better starter? The auto parts stores only list one.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats strange. I was responding to another thread about starters but it showed up here

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to point out that there's nothing /wrong/ with the starter Napa etc. sells - they work just fine and will crank plenty fast.
However, 'cheaper' starters like the autozone ones might not last very long - build quality isn't great.
The design of the starter is fine, though, and it /is/ a gear-reduction unit.

I also believe in cleaning your own starter and making sure it is shot before replacing it - often it just needs some cleaning, new grease in the gears and it'll work like new.
The main wear-out part is the brushes - if 1 of the 4 gets too small, the starter runs on half power, which acts like a dead battery(slow cranking speed)

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I've used the PSD oil filters on IDIs... it works fine providing you have the front diff/driveshaft clearance. Might be tight on a sacked-out ttb truck.

I buy filters from rockauto now. Usually Hastings/Casite and MANN... both made in usa.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Please don't run any Fram filter on your engines of any type. They have been proven to do a very poor job filtering oil, air or fuel.If its the ONLY filter that will "get you home".. Well then use it. Baldwin makes what many feel is a better filter than the Motorcraft FL1995. BTW the 1995 power stroke filter cleans better than the motorcraft filter designed for our idi engine. Reason is the power stroke oil is used to fire the electronic injectors and that pressure reaches well above 20,000 lbs. Some high profromance psd pumps will boost that pressure in excess of 50,000 lbs too.

Actually I will take a Fram any day over a motorcraft. Motorcraft is made by purolator and purolator has been having issues the past couple years with their filter media tearing. I cut all my filters open and I have seen torn pleats in a FL1995, FL400 and FL1A. Purolator has been notified of the issue several times and they refuse to acknowledge they have an issue. No more motorcraft or purolator filters for me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online

No members online now.