PSD Oil Filter For An IDI?

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the specs for the Wix oil filters for an IDI and a PSD.

It appears the PSD filter will fit the IDI engine. (It has been discussed a little in other threads.)

The PSD filter filters to a lower micron and appears to have more filter media surface area (is taller) to compensate for this. The lower micron rating makes for a more restrictive filter (higher pressure drop across the filter), but the larger surface area of the filter paper reduces the restriction so that a higher pressure drop does not occur.

Does my reasoning here seem correct?

Is it OK to use the PSD filter in the IDI?

Will the IDI engine tend to last longer with the PSD filter?

Part Number: 51742
UPC Number: 765809517424
Principal Application: Ford, IHC Trks w/6.9 Diesel Engine (83-93), 7.3L Diesel Engine (87-95)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.968
Outer Diameter Top: 4.282
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1 1/2-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=24/44
Burst Pressure-PSI: 390
Max Flow Rate: 28-30 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 32

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.967 3.587 0.340

Part Number: 51734
UPC Number: 765809517349
Principal Application: Ford/IHC Trucks w/7.3L Turbo Diesel (94-03)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 8.093
Outer Diameter Top: 4.282
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1 1/2-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 385
Max Flow Rate: 28-30 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.967 3.587 0.340

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have been running one on my IDI truck for the last 4-5 oil changes and have not noticed a differance in oil pressure. i like the fact they filter better are bigger and are easy to get with clear labelling.

the only problem i have heard of is that the added length can get in the way of some cross members but this does not seem to be common.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent had any problems running the motorcraft psd oil filter on mine.
fits perfect and holds alil bit more oil. (about a quart)

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why get the popular 51734 filter that last just a few months when the 51734XE is available that will last a few years? The 51734XE is a much better filter that will allow longer drain interval while delivering better fuel milage and cheaper to use in the long run, these filters will last around 20,000 miles before changeout.
Keeps oil cleaner 4x longer you have to be dead not to see the advantge here...

Javier

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why get the popular 51734 filter that last just a few months when the 51734XE is available that will last a few years? The 51734XE is a much better filter that will allow longer drain interval while delivering better fuel milage and cheaper to use in the long run, these filters will last around 20,000 miles before changeout.
Keeps oil cleaner 4x longer you have to be dead not to see the advantge here...

Javier

How will an oil filter give better fuel mileage?

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How will an oil filter give better fuel mileage?

I was wondering that too... sure, synthetic oils *can* give you better economy as less rotating friction or what ever that is called... but... oil filter? Just called a family friend, ASE/ICAR master tech and says oil filter dont do anything that could increase fuel economy BESIDES cleaning the oil... and isnt that what *all* oil filters do?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait... you mean some people still run the stock FL784 or whatever it was??? LOL I've been using ONLY FL-1995's for over a decade.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Motorcraft FL1995 is all I run. Better filtration ans larger capasity. The psd engines need a cleaner oil for the injection system they run. We just need cleaner oil to last longer...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put the FL1995 filter on my rig when it needed an oil change. All was good for about 10 miles when I checked underneath. For some odd reason, it was leaking at the seal so I naturally tightened it up thinking it would stop....well it didn't. I was going to try another FL1995 but couldn't with the luck that I've already had with them. I bought a powerstroke microguard oil filter and no leaks! Guess I got the one defective filter that motorcraft made lol.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I run the FL-1995 and have been for the last 2 years. (When I bought my truck) I am also one of the lucky few that has a close crossmember tolerance. It's literally a certain type of hair away from not fitting. I saw a bypass filter that Amsoil sells that extends intervals up to 20k miles or something like that.

1986IDI6.9L

Reaction score
i never new you could use those filters on the 6.9L i use the baldwin filters air,fuel, and oil for the 6.9L never had any problems

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have one on all of my trucks. I use k&n oil filters just because its k&n and it keeps my step brother from nagging me about it

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FL1995, or an equivalent, the last 10 years or so. The extra filtration is nice plus the extra media allows for a longer OCI.