PSD manifolds on an IDI?

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled a turbo setup off a '96 ford van in of the junkyard with the intent of retrofitting it on my '85 6.9. I got the exhaust manifolds, pipes to the turbo, and the turbo itself. Ideally i would like to put the turbo in the same location as it sat on the PSD using the factory manifolds and pipes. The manifolds look very similar to the IDI manifolds. Anyone know if the manifolds bolt up for sure before I go tear apart my my daily driver for a test fit? I realize the PSD and IDI have different heads, but i figured i might get lucky. And at $15 per manifold from the junkyard i figured it was worth a shot.

thanks

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were a betting man I'd say the bore centers are probably further apart on the PSD. Which means the axhaust ports are probably further apart.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI and the PSD are two different animals. The only major similarity between the two is in displacement.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
The Exhaust spacing is WAY off between the two.Like putting a header for a 350 on a 351!Ain't gonna happen!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Freight Train is correct. The first port will match up but the second, third and forth will each be farther and farther off. They will not fit. I tried this idea a few years ago because I wanted the up pipes to fit the turbo I was designing the same way the psd turbo is sitting on the motors. I was even looking at designing a manifold that would do this but that turned out to be way more work than I needed to do. What did look like it would work was fabricating a tig welded stainless manifold.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he's here or still over at the diesel stop, but a guy by the screename 'Woodie" mounted a powerstroke turbo to an IDI. He had to do a lot of fabrication, but I believe he was happy with the end result.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was also a guy on Ebay selling kits to do the same. Don't know much about it though. It can be done.

MJlogan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like its a bit more work that i thought i was in for. If anyone is interested in the turbo or manifolds, shoot me an email and an offer.

[email protected]

CrawlerHauler

aka "bowshtr"
Reaction score
Well couldn't you just keep the turbo and all that stuff but just look for some different manifolds. I don't know if you can find any type of manifold that would work from a junkyard. If indeed there is something that would work for a turbo application then you could run turbo on that IDI. Id like to eventually turbo my IDI with some sort of home brew version. I am sure if you have a machine shop cut you some sort of header/turbo manifold flange then you could just weld up your own tubes to accept the turbo. Thats if cost is an issue. But if you got the cash some of these pre-fabricated kits look pretty nice. My gf is running a full banks system on her PSD and she loves it, which makes me want to lean toward their system if I were to go and buy a kit. But, after doing some research, ATS really seems to have their sh*t together as well.