PRTJ's

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well Mine started.... Not bad but still....

Had to replace the U-joint on the front of the shaft - it was almost ready to break - it has been squeeking every once in a great while type of thing ... well not anymore it started SCREAMING at me the last time I drove the truck last week. And it started doing the clunk thing on top of it... :eek: Yep when I got under there the cap was toast - it came out in pieces. The yoke had at one point been dropped on the ground because one loop was deformed a little on the outer edge (cleaned that up with a dremel sanding drum). To my surprise the Lifetime warranty MOOG greasable joint wasn't bad at all - under 20 clams.... I was surprised to see that it only had a one piece shaft I was expecting to find a two piece under there - must be because it's only a reg cab.

Then the glow plug relay started not making contact - I would have to cycle it a few times to get the internal contacts to actually pass electrons... So installed a starter solenoid this morning and bingo we are back in business. I also added a push button switch to the dash to control the relay - it's like Downtown now....

The morning was supposed to dedicated to wiring up the Headache stop/tail and turn lights but Oh no E3 said I want some other attention - I guess she has seen me wash - wax and polish the chrome on the bike too many times while she just sits there and I pay no attention to her....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Interesting story Travis. I just drove my rig to breakfast and looking at the dirty hood made me feel bad. Its time for a wash and oil change.. Probably only gonna get a wash but both the trans and the engine need the oil changed. For that matter so does the differancial oil. I have never changed that oil. But I know there is plenty of gear slop back there so its time for a new set of gears. Those have over 375,000 miles on them without giving me any issues. Still on the fence about 3.73 or 4.10 gears. This may be my first gear change too. Gotta find a gear shop in so ca that can tell me whats needed in this mess of "I know nothing about thats in there" parts. I do know this. I will not be using the crush sleeve. Just something about a shim pack that makes better sence when it comes to tightening down the pinnion nut. Gonna use some blue locktite on that also and it will be a new nut. So I know something. Just not enough to be certain I know whats going on in there yet.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I haven't started on mine yet but I've got 2 turbo systems to uninstall and swap the ATS 088, that's on Mater, onto Goldie. Gonna be fun times! :D

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Getting jittery here with a fuel leak, 5th wheel hitch install, loose pinion, fuel pump work intercooler to install and I just broke the screen on my phone. No pressure since I only have this weekend off work untill the rally.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Good News! I got the headache rack lights working - they actually look pretty cool if I do say so myself. Nice and High to let you know what it is I'm attempting to do.

So while I was laying under her I figured what the heck I got the grease gun in hand so I might as well start squirting stuff - figured it hasn't been done in a few years - uh-oh.... found that only the lower ball joints will take grease everything else the grease inside the joints must be hard as a rock. The nipple on the drivers side outer tie rod blew off when my pneumatic grease gun pumped I poked around inside with a screw driver and found the grease to be rock hard. So that means I'll be rebuilding the front end soon.... but the upside is the front brakes must have been new the day the truck was parked so many years ago. The pads on the drivers side are T-H-I-C-K and the rotor on that side is smooth as a baby's bottom with NO RIDGE! Holy schnikes that is GREAT!

The "Truck Nuts" that hang below the rear transmission mount were loose so I tightened them up and walla when I took it out for a drive at 75mph + no more vibration - she's as smooth as can be expected for a one ton truck - NICE....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Travis... Things are looken up... Nice to find and fix the tiny easy items before a big trip. Even finding a reason for a feel or a noise is a great feeling.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yeah my big trip to the rally is going to be oh I'll go out on a limb here and say the campground is ever bit of 7 miles from my place.... hee hee hee yep big trip - be lucky if I get the water temp up to normal operating temp.... that's the beauty of hosting.... keep it close....

Well Travis... Things are looken up... Nice to find and fix the tiny easy items before a big trip. Even finding a reason for a feel or a noise is a great feeling.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Thanks man.... thanks..... you just wait.... I'm gonna run around the campground yelling your secret by going.... LOOK! LOOK! LOOK what Ron is doing! Oh the SHAME!!! He's got a ______________ ____ ____ _____!!!!!!!

Bwaaahhhaaaaahhhaaaa!! :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Travis.. Don't be tellen everybody that Ron has a blue dress to match his blue trucks... Let him kep that surprise for the rally...