Project Jerry

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not about drowning one though. A member here will tell you very quickly (I can't remember who at the moment) that water does not compress, and higher cylinder pressure lifts heads even at lower temps. Especially at times when you would want to spray like wot scenarios.

So you may be right, a garden hose may not drown it, but the heads will pop off eventually. For long lasting and reliable cooling, Wes' idea is pretty on point

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not about drowning one though. A member here will tell you very quickly (I can't remember who at the moment) that water does not compress, and higher cylinder pressure lifts heads even at lower temps. Especially at times when you would want to spray like wot scenarios.

So you may be right, a garden hose may not drown it, but the heads will pop off eventually. For long lasting and reliable cooling, Wes' idea is pretty on point

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Very true

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course I’m taking Justin’s experience into consideration, there’s very few IDIs at that power level so you have to take all cases into account, but I don’t think it was power alone that killed that engine, nor the water ****. Like said above you really can’t drown an idi with water, because the water never enters the combustion chamber so our engines don’t get the quenching effect that direct injection engines do, the water isn’t trying to put out the explosion because the water is in the cylinder and the combustion occurs in the prechamber. I’ve seen na engines throw rods from no cowl seal and a hydro lock. The most extreme case the back of the head lifted and puked water down the bellhousing and threw #8 and #7 out the block, without the pistons that were hydro locked moving the engine fired up and would drive, just puked it’s guts out as it did.

I think an na engine could be setup right to maybe make 500, but you would need a lot of fuel, and very little advance to keep the cylinder pressures down. It wouldn’t be very driveable, but it’s possible I think. With how many people have thrown na rods and fairly tame power levels, I just prefer the idit engines for performance builds. Just the extra peace of mind makes it worth it.

Keep in mind while I’m saying this, the engine with these compounds is a na engine. I plan to get my own benchmark for the limit of the na rods.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very well put I'd like a 500 hp idi but in all reality its not practical for a daily driver and I can't wate to see this compound setup in action and hear what your bench mark on max hp is

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had your brain! Love seeing this coming together

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think an na engine could be setup right to maybe make 500, but you would need a lot of fuel, and very little advance to keep the cylinder pressures down. It wouldn’t be very driveable, but it’s possible I think. With how many people have thrown na rods and fairly tame power levels, I just prefer the idit engines for performance builds. Just the extra peace of mind makes it worth it.

Keep in mind while I’m saying this, the engine with these compounds is a na engine. I plan to get my own benchmark for the limit of the na rods.

You have clearly spent a fair amount of time working on and learning about these engines. I'm glad you're here to share the information you've gathered with us. This compound turbo/intake intercooler idea you're playing with is a great example of the outside-the-box thinking necessary to keep pushing the power output limits of these old IDIs.

Thank you for posting this great thread! I don't frequent this board as much as I used to, but I'll be following the progress you make.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had your brain! Love seeing this coming together

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
I’m flattered but I’m really just another grease monkey

You have clearly spent a fair amount of time working on and learning about these engines. I'm glad you're here to share the information you've gathered with us. This compound turbo/intake intercooler idea you're playing with is a great example of the outside-the-box thinking necessary to keep pushing the power output limits of these old IDIs.

Thank you for posting this great thread! I don't frequent this board as much as I used to, but I'll be following the progress you make.

It’s good to see you posting more often again!

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not run a intercooler between the charge pipe from the 2nd turbo to first?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally you want the cooler past both turbos to be most effective. The piping you see here is temporary. I’ll be replacing the aluminum with stainless and getting the drains sorted, then I’ll be worrying about the intercooler. I want to get the engine started on my test stand then get it test fit in the engine bay a few times so I can see my options for intercooling. I’d like to do the manifold design but I don’t know when that will be ready, likely for the first phase it will have a water to air intercooler off the passenger side of the engine

JakeUlch

Reaction score
I’m new here but glad I found this build to read up on. You do nice work and hope to see some more pics someday:popcorn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online