Preparing to tow

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm leaving for basic training in two months time and prep includes relocating all my stuff from nor cal to San Diego to the parents house. I'm going to be putting my stuff in my 92 blazer, loading it up on a flat bed, loading two motorcycles on the trucks flat bed, and towing it down to San Diego. I have a brake controller, fresh tires, completely fresh rear brakes, new front pads, aux EGT/ water temp/ boost guages, and I've towed plenty before. My question is there anything I need to know about towing with this particular rig, 83 F250 sprung with 1 ton springs, ZF5, BW1356, and an open rear end?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only thing i can come up with is do not take the 101.
I-5 all the way.
watch the EGT's on the grapevine.
that being said, you may want to google the grapevine and see how the roads are.
slow and easy....

youll do alright!

thanks for your future service!
keep your ears open and mouth shut!
having met you in person youll do just fine!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 457 miles on the 5 most of the way. You @ 55 MPH, the other crazies @ 90 MPH. You have to stay in the outside two lanes. You mentioned good brakes, your gonna need them Take a break ever 100 miles or so, to settle your nerves back down. Just make sure your tail and stop lights are working well, it's a 9-10 hr. trip. Would be nice if you could hookup some auxiliary stop lights and hang them on the Blazer bumper, the ones on the trailer are usually low and hard to see by the tailgaters.

Have a good and safe trip.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magnetic-led-towing-light-kit-69869.html

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With 2 working tanks fuel will not be an issue, but stopping to stretch and refuel the empty tank when convienient will help.
Hit the big station at the base of the grapevine if the weather is ****** for condition report( I' e met up with a convoy of support grunts there) small rigs.
The reat is cake.
Thanx for saying I do!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 457 miles on the 5 most of the way. You @ 55 MPH, the other crazies @ 90 MPH. You have to stay in the outside two lanes.

its a 2 lane road inbetween us and the grape vine. (260ish miles to the grapevine)
same situation tho towing at 60 in the slow lane, and people doing 90+ in the other.

BEWARE OF DRIVERS CUTTING YOU OFF.
they will do it at a high rate of speed to save a few minutes.
rearview mirrors will be your best friend on this trip.
keep a close watch.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, not my first time towing, just towing any distance in this rig. I've towed down to SD before but in a 05 2500 Dirtymax w/Alison haha. I'm in no hurry and planning a 12 hour day. I've got aux lights for the trailer to put on the blazer bumper or roof. I'll start the day with ~40 gal of fresh diesel, and probably fill up when one tank goes low just as a forced stop to stretch and OODA loop the rig.

I've done the drive sans trailer probably 15 times in the past two years :urinate:number2 are the only reason to stop LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Brian, been to Cali a few times. Got a Daughter and 3 Granddaughters living in LA there. Takes me three weeks to get my nerves settled back down after I get back home. :rotflmao

@kcconfq I'd put the lights on the bumper, that's about straight in line with any one behind windshield.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another piece of advice, once you get over the grape vine, cut over to 101/pch @ 126
i loathe so cal traffic something fierce.
the PCH drive will take you just as long, plus you get to have the pacific as a back drop.

gandalf

Reaction score
You seem to be well aware of the brakes on your truck. This is just a reminder, then. You'll be towing a load, so braking will be worse than normal. These trucks are infamous for their poor braking, so keep that load weight in mind.

Road conditions. Check CalTrans Road Conditions before you start. Plan accordingly.