Power steering gearbox

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i Am ready to order a power steering gearbox. Please don’t tell me to get the red top or whatever. I can’t afford it. There are 2 listed on O’Reilly. The difference in impute size is .010 and the output spline count is 32 vs 29. I don’t want to remove the nut from the output shaft until I have a new gearbox on hand. Which is the most common gearbox so I can take my chances and hopefully get the correct one. My f350 is single rear wheel if that makes a difference. It does for the rear brake shoes. I have to get this fixed so I can get my Jeep into the shop.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, my store must have seen me coming then. They had it the first time and the time I had to warrenty it. And hey, if it's leaking out the bottom it's really not hard to change the seal on it. I just did that about a month ago.

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One has excessive play. I can turn the wheel 1/4 turn without changing direction of the wheels. I have attempted to tighten up the gear box but it doesn’t last. The sweat spot also tends to change as you are driving. We just took a 1500 mile trip and the closer we got to home the worse it got.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's slap wore out. Please note: it's heavy and and usually hard to get the pitman arm off. I'm sure you knew that but in case you forgot I wanted to remind you. Oh yeah, its stupid heavy and miserable to get off. Gravity will help you get it down after you have it disconnected, but gravity with fight you the whole time you're putting it back on. Have fun though.

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oof. My wife has good muscles. I used a strap to lift a starter in my Cummins N14. Commercial truck. I have trouble lifting now due to a multiple myeloma lesion that made my left clavicle powder. Nothing to screw a plate too. Lots of pain when I use my left arm but I deal with it.

I have already decided if I can’t get the pitman arm off, I’ll just replace it too. i doesn’t have to come off to remove the gear box does it?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I flippin hate 42mt starters, I don't care what kind of ailments you have they're always a pain to change.

As for the pitman arm.. The new box doesn't come with one, so either get it off or get another pitman arm.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oof. My wife has good muscles. I used a strap to lift a starter in my Cummins N14. Commercial truck. I have trouble lifting now due to a multiple myeloma lesion that made my left clavicle powder. Nothing to screw a plate too. Lots of pain when I use my left arm but I deal with it.

I have already decided if I can’t get the pitman arm off, I’ll just replace it too. i doesn’t have to come off to remove the gear box does it?
My wife doesn't have muscles, but my 14 and 15 yr old sons do. And like Nero said either pull the pitman arm or buy a new one.

Olds64

Reaction score
Hopefully the local auto parts store has the gearbox you need. I shop at my local O'Reilly's as well.

x4 on using a puller to salvage the Pitman arm. I thought the pitman arm was a non-wear part (unlike the idler arm)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.