Potential IDI owner dropping a line

DannyboyUpstate

Reaction score
Hey Fellas!

I've owned a bunch of different diesel trucks and cars. Volkswagen TDIs, Cummins 12V and Land Rover 200TDI. A friend of mine is selling a 1993 F-250 with the 7.3IDI so I found this site in hopes of understanding some more information about these trucks.

I just wanted to say, that you guys have one of the best technical forums I've ever been on. Everyone appears to be helpful and more important, thoughtful. I read the article in the Intro Thread on cavitation. It's one of the best articles I've ever read on the Internet. The principles are explained so that a 5 year old could understand them. Completely fascinating. The owner of the new truck said it's always had proper coolant levels and always used SCA since it was new and I had no idea what he was talking about. Outstanding information.

Thanks of the hard work on the forum. If the truck isn't too rusty and I buy it, I'll post up.

Danny

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard....this site rocks and the idi trucks....well there like crack to a drug addict....can't get enough or stay away from them...:D

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm totally not a Ford guy but I bought the F250 anyway just for the IDI. Seems like even if something is wrong with it you can usually get them to run and drive home if you have enough batteries and ether. :D The transmission options are pretty reliable also. They run on almost any liquid oil product, and seem to love used motor oil. I'm in the process of "de-Fording" my 83 and stripping it down to nothing but a cab, a frame, and an engine....everything else is going to very much not OEM.

I only paid $700 for my truck, it came with about 60 gallons of fuel and a nice transfer tank, and a big winch bumper probably worth the purchase price. So far I've driven it at least 1000 miles at the speed limit and haven't needed a tow truck - better than I can say for any other diesel truck I ever owned! Once I start running on WMO it's basically free transportation.

DannyboyUpstate

Reaction score
This truck has a bad pilot bearing, which means it also is going to get a new clutch kit. Not the most fun repair, but, it's whatever. I'm looking for a reliable tow vehicle and general work truck. I am interested in running it on a mixture of WVO in the summer months. This thing has had a ****-ton of maintenance done to it. Front end completely rebuilt, brakes, tires, exhaust. I think it might be "The One".

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it could be "the one" with a d60 swapped in the front! :D

welcome to OB, almost every question ive ever had about these engines have been answered in great detail.

the ones that were not answered were pretty unconventional lol

the only time ive had to get my truck towed is when the clutch master rod snapped and i didnt want to have to try to fix it in the middle of no fab tools.
sure i most likely could have got it done, but it only took me an hour with the right tools.
$$ well spent.

99% of the people on here are great people.
i have never seen another site where people are trusting and willing to help out, even on their own dime.
there has been times a few members have been down on their luck (as we all are from time to time)and several members threw parts at them.
sometimes even half of trucks lol.
just remember, karma is a *****, unless you live on the positive side of it.
pay it forward, and enjoy!

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from CT. Lots of northeast members on the site.

DannyboyUpstate

Reaction score
Mehhh... I dunno. Mechanically the truck is in good condition with good maintenance, but I don't know if this one is too far gone, or just par for the course. Someone has done extensive poor body work on the bed, driverside rocker and cab corner. It looks like I did it, and I despise body work.

You must be registered for see images attach

What do you fellas think? Worth it just to drive, tow and work? Not going to win any beauty pageants. That's for sure.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My philosophy: if it as dents and scratches, you can go ahead and work the truck.
NO worries then about your paint job when you are trying to wiggle a low-boy back
through the woods in the dark :)

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK, What are they asking? That cab looks pretty rough. I've never seen a cab rocker on these rotted that bad. Makes me concerned about how the rest of it looks underneath. Problem is if it's just an occasional vehicle if it rots apart then it's not going to be useful and probably nothing you want to put time or money in repairing.

DannyboyUpstate

Reaction score
True enough fsmyth and junk.

The frame looks really good. I've never seen one of these trucks with a rocker like that either. A friend of mine suggested that it appears that at someone replaced the rocker made out of Chineseium steel, and didn't seal it properly. I could go for that theory. I have a company truck that I drive daily, do this would just be for after work and the weekends.

The asking price is $2500. It has brand new tires, exhaust, front end, brakes and an injection pump. 140k miles on the truck and drivetrain.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the rocker the truck doesn't look bad. If the rest of the body isn't rotted underneath like that rocker it might be Ok. All that work for 2500 seems OK. You'd have double that in the work if you had to do it.

Is it an auto or stick?

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
$2500 is steep regardless. Here in Houston, We don't get rot like that and these trucks go for $1000-1500 all day long. All that new stuff is great but....Is it what YOU would of wanted? If not, Why pay for it? Does he have maintenance records to back all these claims? Given just the three pictures, I'd give them $1500 and call it a day. Hell, 6.0 trucks are going for around $7K. Just to give you an idea. Mines didn't run and still doesn't but shes damn straight and rust free and I only paid $400. Body work is the least of the problems really. We need more details (and pics) honestly.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2500 is steep regardless. Here in Houston, We don't get rot like that and these trucks go for $1000-1500 all day long. All that new stuff is great but....Is it what YOU would of wanted? If not, Why pay for it? Does he have maintenance records to back all these claims? Given just the three pictures, I'd give them $1500 and call it a day. Hell, 6.0 trucks are going for around $7K. Just to give you an idea. Mines didn't run and still doesn't but shes damn straight and rust free and I only paid $400. Body work is the least of the problems really. We need more details (and pics) honestly.
What he said. That would be a good price, ONLY if you didn't have to do a damn thing to it.
For years.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dents and scratches are one thing. That ^^^^ is ROT; not just rust, but ROT. You better check EVERYWHERE else, esp. spring/shock hangers, shackles etc, fuel tanks, and radiator core support.

$2500 is borderline, if it's a 4x4 manual, and only if the rot otherwise is manageable. If it's automatic and/or 2WD, it's not worth it.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
That's what we call cancer concerning vehicles. It does not stop and only spreads. Only way to stop it is to cut away ALL cancer and replace. Even Chinese metal would last if prepped and painted right. We need more.