Possible engine swap south of Sacramento

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I accidently looked at another truck yesterday...

I've been thinking of a bricknose short bed crew cab for a bit, I looked at a 460 truck with a bad engine, 1988 efi, short block only. I have no tow vehicle at the moment so I thought about pulling the 460 from my 92 and swaping it in to drive the truck home, once home bed and front clip come off, shorten frame, SRW rear axle and TTB on coils with air bags up front, banks 6.9 ZF5 and a lift gate.

The truck is located near 50 and Watt Ave, I might see if I can find a few friends to help make a quick engine swap.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I must be in the wrong group, no crew cab short bed brick nose lovers hre

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 87 ECLB, a 97 CCSB, and my current CCLB. The turning radius on all of them is pretty much terrible; they all take up 2 parking spots and are a pain in tight quarters. The CCSB didn't turn much tighter then the CCLB (CCSB wheelbase is actually a few inches shorter than a ECLB).

But I have to admit, I have been thinking about a short bed conversion on my truck for a long time, simply because I would like to have a truck that Ford never made.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
The solid axle seems to turn in a little more than the TTB, and CCSB tends to be F250, CCLB F350, so I can see the 2 trucks having a similar turning radius, 2 wheel drive would probably be much better, my CCLB DRW 4x2 feels tiny compared to any 4x4 in a tight spot, except for those hips.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on a trailer that'll hold the truck, and if either of these days would work for you, I'm off work on Mondays and Tuesdays...always fun to put my truck to work :angel:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Not that far from 50 & Watt myself, but my beast needs head gaskets, so, no towing or runs to Napa for me.

Will be working Mon & Tues until 3ish; willing to help if I can otherwise, NapaBavarian.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got that covered, 10k trailer 20 foot flatbed, bargeman wiring, about 3k empty
Cool! What type of hitch is it? And, more importantly, what sort of timeframe are you looking at?

I'm off work on Mondays and Tuesdays, but this "weekend" won't work for me...just came down sick :puke: -cuss and need a couple of days to get over whatever the hell this is.

Let me know :angel:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Oooofff, that trailer sounds like gooseneck towing, something no stock-bodied van can do anyway. I'm still a wimp with a 5K receiver hitch.

As for timeframe, if this truck doesn't get to Napa until the week of the 25th, I do have that week off.

Should have mein Käfer running properly again by then, so heading your way for a little wrenching sounds doable, NapaBavarian. My van's toolbox fits in the Bug.

How I miss the "roomy" engine compartment of an "F."