positive battery cable

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys give me some ideas here. Need to replace my positive cable and not really in to paying $200 from the stealership for one and NAPA wants $150. Anybody got a less costly idea.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding all of the charging system in one of mine and putting a "battery bank" under the cab....Needless to say I am building all of my own cables etc. Long story short I when I couldnt find what I wanted in the standard automotive world I turned to the car audio scene. You gotta do some shopping cuz there is massive markup, but if you can find a decent wholesaler they will have pretty much anything you can dream of dirt cheap.

I am building a 4 battery bank, and spent $120 on terminals for 4 standard 2/0's, 3 dual line 2/0's with a top lug, and 1 dual 2/0 & dual 4ga....will probably spend another $100 on the cable

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tractor supply company check their website. Never used them but seem cheap enough

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory chit is hard to beat, as it bolts right on ;Sweet

I too need the passenger side + cable as it's splitting/corroding at the terminal, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. ;Really

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
most of my trucks have had them replaced with factory stuff, or one like napa sells
next one I do Im gonna use a marine terminal with the bolt/stud on it, and then make cables with eyes on them that way if a cable goes bad, all I need to do is replace that 1 cable.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can buy a battery cable crimper for about $48 and make up your own You could make up a nice set of 3/0 cables for a lot less than buying pre made and they will last longer if done properly. You have a Truck Pro there in Tulsa so you can get the cable and ends pretty cheap. It's best to make them up with eye ends and connect what you need from there so you can replace sections as mentioned in the future.

If you happen to be heading through central AR anytime soon, you're welcome to drop by and we can make up a set. I have the tools here to do it .

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory chit is hard to beat, as it bolts right on ;Sweet
Don't buy one from the guy on ebay selling his replacements... there cheap and inexpensive... strips too much wire sheathing off the end, and pokes thru the terminals for the relay hookup.... the battery end is too short and you have to fight it for a good time... probably spend over 30 min twisting and bending the L terminal into more of a lazy L ( opening up the 90 angle) There is a cable guy ( search this forum) that makes him... I would try him before I get one from the ebay seller... or as some have mentioned.. make one. Napa at our place makes them...

just my 2 cents

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I bought a cable anvil for crimping ends on the cables...$55, and I can buy the 3/0 cable for about $5/foot I think....I have to double check that number. But it is cheaper to make your own IF you have the tools to do it!

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it will be up to the task, but I used welding cable to run a rear battery setup on my barracuda. The whole setup ran me somewhere in the area of $50 to do the whole thing. Good luck, let me know what you end up doing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welding cable will carry more amps because it has many more individual wires in the bundle. All my positive cables were bought from Wrangler Electronics in Oregon. I also bought their military clamps and lugs. So now all my positive cables are easy to remoce or replace. I have a cable from the drivers side battery to the passenger side battery... Then a cable going down to the starter and one going to the fender solenoid. The all have lug ends on them...;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online