Porting turbo housing

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Is it something that can be done w/o machineing equiptment? Which side would benifit more, turbine or compressor? I have the new turbo sitting there but it bothers me that I'm gonna put a stock turbo back on cookoo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine how you would do it, even if it was a good idea. The exhaust housing is basically a slot with hot gases coming out of it. If you try to port it, you might mess up the symetry of it. :dunno About the fanciest thing I read about people doing is getting a center cartridge with ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know to port head correctly you need a flow bench, but I've done some mild port work, (and screwd up some heads along the way)cookoo I just wondered if there was anything to gain by smoothing out any rough edges in the houseing. I guess I'll just wrap the hot side real good with heat blanket when it goes on.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did learn a new trick from a professional turbo rebuilder monday night though. If you rough up the edges of your turbo blades, you will get more whistle.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I did learn a new trick from a professional turbo rebuilder monday night though. If you rough up the edges of your turbo blades, you will get more whistle.

:eek: So that one you brought to the rally ought to sream like a banshee then eh?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I recon it did before it got poop canned.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

o boy that could be fun unbalancing something that turns that fast:eek: :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Just clean up the ruff areas and don't try to open up the passages in the housing. Anytime you "smooth out" the hot or cold air passages you will increase flow. These heads have lots of room so you can really clean up the hot and cold side of everything. You wont need a flow bench. Thats for something that turns up some rpm. Our motors redline around 3400 rpm. Just making the ports shine will help. Remember.. We are not a gasser motor so all we do is compress air in and out. The easier it gets in and out the better "things" flow. I had some pictures here on a new set of heads before and after I ported and matched them. I'll try to find them for all again.:D

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know a shinny exhaust turbine housing will help lower EGTs. Not much but the better flow and less turbulance will cool things off a bit. Just remember that a turbo needs a specific clearance between the turbine and housing. If you open that up to much you will loose performance.

bryand

Reaction score
what about clipping turbine wheel. I used to have a import gasser that you could order a clipped turbine wheel for the new turbo for faster spool up. It was just a 10* or 15* machining of the exit side of the turbine wheel.

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faster spool up due to less drag but in the end you are still hurting the turbos output. With less air to push the turbo is going to move faster. With the right sized turbo in the IDI it should not be a problem. I guess it would work but still you are handicapping the turbo to a point.

high psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about clipping turbine wheel. I used to have a import gasser that you could order a clipped turbine wheel for the new turbo for faster spool up. It was just a 10* or 15* machining of the exit side of the turbine wheel.

Clipping a turbine wheel ia a way to give a bit less restriction/backpressure through the turbine side at high RPM's. It will not neccesarily spool up faster, actually since you have more area for the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine wheel it may spool a bit slower. The only effect on spool time would be from the fact that you have removed some metal and therefore have less rotating mass, hence it is easier for it to begin spinning.

As to Mel's comment, it works, but I would only recommend nicking your blades if you plan on having the wheel balanced before you use it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I did get a good bit more whistle switching to my Moose Air setup. Going with an open style filter definitly lets the sound out better than the factory air cleaner. As for bugs screaming, they'd probably live longer if they could really do that. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online