POP testing procedures and tips?

Deib

Reaction score
I am pop testing a set of BB codes and I am having some issues.
I have pop tested Gm, BMW and other injectors, most of the problems have always been self inflicted like getting dirt in the injector while cleaning. Sticking a plunger or that type of thing.

I am working on these 7.3 injectors. I took them apart and cleaned them. Put them back together and pop checked them again.
I am getting about 1700 psi, so I ordered some shims.

Now problems I am having.
Injectors should pop and chirp. That is a correctly working injector. They should not drip and should hold pressure.
The spray should be a fine mist.

Now I have about 5 of them that will hold pressure, they open at around 1,700 psi so for the most part they are fine except they do not pop and chirp like I expect.
The stream comes out poorly atomized, but it is straight, not like I would expect form a worn or dirty tip.
But they open and close at 1,700 PSI and seal up tight.

So what is the problem?
Are the tips shot? Do I have some dirt in there yet?
How fast should you be pumping the handle?
The faster I pump the handle the better the atomization is, but they still do not pop.

A couple of them I have cleaned repeatedly. No change. Seems to me if the tips were shot I would get dripping. It the plunger was stuck I wouldn't be able to build or hold pressure.

Any ideas? I have not had bad tips before so I really don't know what to expect. The condition of everything else it seems hard to imagine that is my problem.

Usually I do it like this.
Pop test them.
Tear them down and clean them
Pop test them again.
Shim
Pop test again.
repeat or repair as needed.
pop test.
Install.

Any thoughts welcome.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without having done this personally, I'm maybe speaking out my @$$ here but who knows.

That being said, from what you are describing for your procedure you are on track.

However one thing I've noticed in your thread is a lack of injector CODE stamped on the injectors. What code are your injectors you are popping? What brand? Or do you know? Are they or could they have been modified previously?

In this thread there are a couple of vids showing what these can and do look like

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...quot-best-homemade-pop-tester-quot-with-video

Can you take video and show us what you are saying? That would help

JM2CW

Al

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've pop tested quite a few of these IDI injectors, but I've never rebuilt them. So......... I can't help diagnose why they are doing what. But, I can tell you most will NOT make a pop or chirp even when new/good.

That's never been something I've worried about or even made note of when testing these injectors. The main issues are opening pressure, atomization, pattern, and leaking.

Heath

Deib

Reaction score
That is great to know.
I will take a couple videos of what I have. That might help, at least maybe it will help others someday because I couldn't find the info I was looking for online.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check out the video link that riotwarrior posted? Very clear picture and sound of mine popping.

Deib

Reaction score
I did a lot of searching, Not sure if I have seen it. I have found a lot of threads with missing or non working links.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
click the link above (riotwarrior) or look for my post about a page down in this forum. I posted it on Monday (yesterday). I just tried the link and it works fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There are three viedos on the link riotwarrior linked too. One is mine and you can clearly hear the poping squeeking on the tips. They are allowed to make a drop on the tips but it must hang for at least 5 seconds. If it will not hang that long the nozzle tip is shot. Each 1 thousands shim is 50 lbs increase in pop pressure.
Al, In the first sentence is the Bb codes posted that are being worked on..

Deib

Reaction score
It looks like it is just dirty tips yet. Or maybe dirt in the bore.
I soaked them again, and brushed them again.
I now have them all working correctly, like the first video but one.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this is why it takes so long to set/ rebuild a set of these.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.