Poor MPG

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
Now I finally know what PAK means... I seen it but just couldn't figure it out...

I see says the blind man as he poked himself in the eye...

goat-boy.....your brain is really turning to mush. LJMD is gonna have a field day with your latest confession. Now....outside of my "quack quack" comment, can you ID the rest of the infamous trio? You'll have to go over TDS to look it up:D

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I don't spend much time in the Gen Diesel or other forum over there - never have. So that is why I'm out of the loop. Me I always pretty much kept to the basement forums - that is where I made 99% of all my posts.

Always considered the Other forum the zoo.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Good call gents...

PAK there, PAP here, right?

Anybody up for a PAP smear :sorry:...

Don't come over here bashing goats, KW. That stuff ain't allowed here. There as good, if not better in some cases than the IH's.

Also, no griping and sniveling about the mpg or the GCWR or is it a dually or is it 4wd or none of that. You're beating a dead horse...(forgot about the new smileys -Deadhorse) You are more than welcome to post any tech questions you have, but keep the garbage out. We've all read this song and dance for quite a while at TDS, and got quite tired of it there, let's not do the same here.

Towcat-

I like the DnD idea. First candidate? :Axed

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think his conduct warrants dumb and dumber unless he starts attacking people here. but given his history, its only time. I proposed an idea over in "comments and suggestions" read it and put in your input there. That way I'm not totally coming off as a personal vendetta.

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And some of us over at TDS were just wondering where KW had gone. I thought you had set fire to that F-superduty and bought a gasser. I never saw anything wrong with KW's posts over at TDS, but I never read the"other" forums either, maybe just a little. The only way I can think of to get the Superduty to get better fuel milage is to get some taller gears in there, but with the D80 axle it may not be cost effective. I'm having a hard time justifying the swap to 3.55L/S in my 250 right now. I guess I could justify it since I will be keeping my IDI for a long time, but still hate to plunk down the big bux. To me the IDI is more of a toy, a dream truck that I've wanted since I was a little kid, but I don't know how I'd feel if I was trying to be practical about it........

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
That fuel additive got my mpg up to 10.5 mpg from the 8 I was getting with the winter fuel. On summer fuel I was getting 11.5-12.

The 5:13s are engine screamers but I can pretty much go everwhere with a empty truck in OD and drop to 4th to climb hills.

That additive seems to make the engine run smoother plus it boosts the cetane level up abit.

The only real gearing option is 4:63s which isn't enough of a gear increase to make a difference. If I went to a 4:30 if they made them for a older Dana 80 it may make a difference. The IDI is still low on power if I went too tall there wouldn't be any pulling power. You look at the newer F-Superduties (450s) they still run the low gear ratios even with the bigger power of the PSD.

A wood worker I was talking too during the summer had a 96-97 PSD F-Superduty he said it was a real pig on fuel. He sold it bought a 1.5 ton Hino his fuel mileage doubled. The Hino doesn't have the power the PSD had but it gets way better mileage.

It is frustrating with the price of diesel costs 10 cents more per litre over regular gas.

I don't need a 15,000lb gvw truck anymore if this current job I have now keeps going. If I can find one I would like to get a F-350 4x4 so I can still have a flatdeck for my personal use.

I'am hoping a diesel with 4:10 gears and 5spd will get slightly better fuel mileage over 5:13s with 5spd.

The way the DOT is going it won't be worth owning a F-450 sized truck.