Plugging in truck

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long can I leave my truck plugged in at night? I've heard people say only a couple hours and I've had people say all night.

Thanks

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
You can leave them plugged in all day in the middle of the summer if you want to and it won't hurt them as long as you have coolant in block :D but the determining factors are - How cold it is, how long it will take the heater to get the engine up to a useful temp in the weather that your dealing with, and how much you want to pay for your electricity this month.;Sweet

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Ive always been under the impression that leaving it plugged in over 3 hours is only wasting your money as 3 hours is all it needs.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have mine on a timer set to come on at three hours before I plan on getting up and leaving for work. Saves some time on the heater and a few extra pennies on the electric bill.

If you get a timer, make sure it is rated for around 15 amps.

Heath

Last edited:

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines plugged in so much the neigbors think its electric. Never had to replace block heater, and at below 0 temps, 3 hours might do the trick. The timer I now use has two settings, so I let it come on from 1am to 2am, then back on at about 5:30am and off at 8. When my Gps werent working, it was constantly hooked to the outlet.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of amps the block heater pulls?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think I remember something like 10-15 amps. Also, what year truck? If you have an early 6.9 I would advise not to use it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
No more than 3 hours. It woulnt hurt it but it sure will make your meter spin.

Not sure of amps but the PSD block heaters are 1000watts:eek:

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
i leave mine plugged in at work all the time. since im not paying for it. at home i usually leave it plugged in over night but for quick trips thru the day i dont. but when its 20 below and colder yeah its gotta be plugged in

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that it does not hurt to leave them plugged in. I have left mine plugged in overnight may times, I also have left it plugged in 24 hrs a day for a few days in a row. I had plugged it in, and we had been busy and not driving the truck and I just did not worry about unplugging it. I look at it this way, I know several big truck drivers, and in the winter if it is not running it is plugged in.

I have also been known to leave it plugged in, in the somewhat heated garage, when it is really cold outside, just so the I have heat when I get going. The electricity bill is high enough, that even if I do keep it plugged in all the time, I do not see an increase in the bill.....

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of amps the block heater pulls?

The smarter guys will correct my mis-information; but, it goes something like this :

VOLTs TIMES AMPs = WATTs.

Somebody posted 1000-Watts.

1000 divided by 115-volts = 8.7-amps

I would have guessed closer to 20-amps, but the math don't lie. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online