Please help me fix my 4WD....

medic265

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I bought this truck about 3 weeks ago and have been fixing a few small things here and there. I went to repack the front wheel hubs with fresh grease. On the passenger side hub there may be some parts missing but I'm not sure. So I need some advice.

First the mandatory picture of my new ride:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a pic of the front axle for identification. I believe it to be a Dana 60 from my research but I don't know the difference between ball joint and king pin?

And a pic of the hubs:

The ID tag has these numbers on the first line: 354 (then an upside down triangle)F2TA AA. The second line has (an upsidedown triangle) 610371-4
On the passenger side axle tube I found PD2037 and then 74486X
:dunnoIf someone could tell me what those numbers mean that would be great.

Ok, so on the drivers side hub I found these:

:dunnoBut there were none on the passenger hub. I'm guessing there should be the same parts on both sides?

When I bought this truck I tried the 4wd out in loose gravels and it didn't spin at all but that could have been 3WD is my worry. I've never had a set of hubs off before so I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

:dunnoNow my next question is if indeed I am missing the parts on the passenger side, where can I find those? And does anybody have a part number if I need it?

Now I know I can just put a set of manual hubs in but right now I really can't spend an extra $200. I don't off-road at all. Just want this for winter driving if/when it snows here in Kentucky. That and if I pull my trailer into the field I don't want to spend and make a mess.

And next here is a pic of the rear end:

:dunnoCan someone ID this? it has a tag that reads V122D on the first line and 551022A22 on the second line.

Here is the tag:

I hope I've given the right info but if you need something else I will get it in a jiffy.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
You've a ball joint D60 with auto hubs...

There are parts missing for sure, kits can be had to convert over to standard manual warn hubs...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
welcome aboard. that is a sterling 10.25" rear end. not sure what the ratio is based on what numbers you got from the tag. there is an axle code on the drivers door tag. get that code if you still have the sticker and report back.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
not sure what the ratio is based on what numbers you got from the tag.
3.55 gears...

Buy a set of Mile Marker or Superwinch hubs to fix your front axle. 3WD does not exist: if a hub is not locked in, you will not have any traction on the front axle (unless the PO swapped in a locker). The Mile Marker hubs are around $120 bucks.

Good luck, and enjoy your new rig.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some advice I can give you if you go to manual or fix the auto hubs; Don't "pack' the hub area with grease. I am assuming you were going to fill that whole area with grease, and if you do you will be sorry if you get a cold snap. All that grease gets very stiff, and you will find the auto hubs may not work at all, and the manual hubs may go in, but won't come out till the grease gets warm enough to let it move.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the automatic hubs on my 93 D60 ball joint axle and did not need the conversion kit.

If you want to just throw a different set of auto locking hubs on I have a set I took off my truck and will never use them. PM me if you want or need them we can work out a deal.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get rid of the auto hubs.....take the time, get new WARN premiums and they are warrantied for life! Or go to wrecker and off a D50 pull the whole hubs off there.

Not sure on gear ratio, looks like the tag says 3:55 but cannot tell for sure.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

sassyrel

Reaction score
3.55 OPEN.. and as said..get some new,,warm premiun hubs..end of problem forever,,auto hubs suck a big one...do a bunch of back and forth in mud,,and theyll likely blow......

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note...get an eighth lug nut on that thar wheel too btw...

Just took apart my stock manual hubs...NOT liking what I'm seeing but eh..that's the way it goes...rofl..

medic265

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies.

As I said before, I just can't afford to sink the money in the manual hubs right now. That's why I was hoping someone could point me to a supplier of the parts. But then again, someone stated above that it could not be 3WD unless it had a locker, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have locker.

So from what I'm reading, the hubs must function properly.

I'm gonna try to find a parts breakdown of the hubs....I found one for the Dana 60 axle but it didn't show the hub parts...Anybody got one?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriosly if you fix that auto hub...it's just a point of failure again...they are not the best. Better to go to a wrecker and get two complete hubs from a D50 or D60 if ya gotta do it on the cheap....just saying....auto hubs are known for breakage issues, and clearly yours are not working all that well...or broke at some point thus missing parts.

medic265

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Again, Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate everyone's help. As I stated earlier I know I can replace my hubs with manuals but I just can't afford that till spring. So after much more research (about 8 hrs total) I finally found an exploded parts diagram of the hubs:

I found this on Steve83's Superford site so Kudos to him.

I also found a wealth of information on a 4x4 site about the Dana60 axle. I don't know if its allowed to link to another site, but if I can I would gladly post a link to it. I think the site had every thing ever written about the dana60....

So Thanks for helping me identify my axles. And Thanks for all the other help. My next step is to make the parts I can, find a comparable bearing and spring, and then see what happens. I well report back the end result. It may take me a week or so though. The cup and clip will be easy to make. I should be able to source the bearing at a local parts store, and I've got about 1000 springs in my shop so hopefully I can come up with something there.

Thanks

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Again, Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate everyone's help. As I stated earlier I know I can replace my hubs with manuals but I just can't afford that till spring. So after much more research (about 8 hrs total) I finally found an exploded parts diagram of the hubs:

I found this on Steve83's Superford site so Kudos to him.

I also found a wealth of information on a 4x4 site about the Dana60 axle. I don't know if its allowed to link to another site, but if I can I would gladly post a link to it. I think the site had every thing ever written about the dana60....

So Thanks for helping me identify my axles. And Thanks for all the other help. My next step is to make the parts I can, find a comparable bearing and spring, and then see what happens. I well report back the end result. It may take me a week or so though. The cup and clip will be easy to make. I should be able to source the bearing at a local parts store, and I've got about 1000 springs in my shop so hopefully I can come up with something there.

Thanks

well that looks like a cluster****! Nice truck. you got a cclb, matte paint, 4 wheel drive and some skull and crossbones! cool;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle