Please help determine winch capacity?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I have been viewing this here winch for a while now. The guy is asking 300 bucks, and it's kinda about the size I think I should have considering all I plan to do...(Long term Plan that is)

That being said, It appears to be a M35A2 cargo winch and I would like to know capacity. The owner doesn't have a clue what it's single line pull is and so forth. The guy says it has 9/16" cable:eek: :love:

All I have found thus far stated that it's got 200' of cable and rated at 10,000 lbs pull....seems kinda weak for a duece n a half to me.

I have thought of a rear mount hydraulic drive winch such as this.

Any help regarding the single line pull rating would be great.

BTW it is a Braden Winch

Attachments

• M35a2 cargo with winch.JPG
    M35a2 cargo with winch.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 13
  • M35A2 Winch.jpg
    M35A2 Winch.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Winch end.jpg
    Winch end.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

7.3shrk

Is that 10,000 lbs for the line? No matter what the winch is rated, you are only as good as the line (but that sounds weak for 9/16" line. I am doing the same thing with my GMC, but I took my winch and PTO off a tow truck. I believe that should be a Braden winch if that is any help.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that 10,000 lbs for the line? No matter what the winch is rated, you are only as good as the line (but that sounds weak for 9/16" line. I am doing the same thing with my GMC, but I took my winch and PTO off a tow truck. I believe that should be a Braden winch if that is any help.
Ok I know that about the line....LOL

What I need to know is what the first layer of Line pull against the drum would be which BTW would eventually be replaced with synthetic line saving weight and gaining safety and increased line strength.

7.3shrk

Just curious, can you get synthetic line in that high of capacity? I am kind of interested.

Nick

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh works great if you got the MODEL I do not....I did find out from Braden finally that it's rated at 7500 lbs pull.
Wow, that seems awfully low for the physical size of that winch - and its intended application.

My Warn M8000 is less than half that size - with only 7/16 cable (IIRC - maybe 3/8) - and its rated at 8K ...

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
so 15000lbs with a snatch block. The M12000 winch I'm getting has a 3/8" cable, 125ft long.....200ft of 9/16" is big stuff....More than overkill for your Bronco...LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so 15000lbs with a snatch block. The M12000 winch I'm getting has a 3/8" cable, 125ft long.....200ft of 9/16" is big stuff....More than overkill for your Bronco...LOL

Uh NOPE not overkill till I have 15-20K single line pull then snatch that to 30-40K pull gotta realize that if I put on 46" tall tires...mud will suck me down hard core....thus need to be able to self recover cause I wont afford those $500+ dollar recovery from BFwrecker!

This is what Braden said

The winch you have is a Model LU-4, which was used on the WW2 military
vehicles built by Dodge, and on into the Korean conflict of the late
50's thru early 60's.

The winch was rated by the US military at 7500 lbs first layer line
pull.

The cable drum is 4.50" barrel diameter x 10.00" flange diam x 12.00"
long between the flanges. I would expect typical rope diameters to be
between 3/8" and 1/2" diameter. The maximum cable storage capacity for
each size is as follows:
3/8" 373'
7/16" 273'
1/2" 195'

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
If you pull 20,000lb on a stock frame you might be looking for trouble. I've seen brand new trucks buried in the mud when they built the pipeline around here that were pulled into 2 pieces when they put a dozer or winch on to them....I kid you not they had some that were torn in 1/2.:eek: Better built it sturdy or ***** gonna break.:dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.:eek: Better built it sturdy or ***** gonna break.:dunno

YOU have no idea how bad in the good way bad is....it is going to be....I gotta magazine with a pic that once it's scanned I may try to post what I sorta plan on doing...along with boxing the frame and so forth...

Thats why Val has to get her truck going...thus I can take this off the road and do the body off the frame...then begin...I'll find another winch...I already have to 8K electrics...one Warn 8274 and a Ramsey RE 8000 worm gear model. I honestly do not believe that `16k of pull is enough...seen trucks stuck and snatched and no movement ....at double lines....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it's good enough to pull a duce & a half shouldn't it work good enough to pull a Bronco or an IDI?

Consider the original owner of said duce & a half ...generally not above leaving the damn thing if it's stuck that bad or usually some nice tank or other chunk of equipment not too far off suitable for recovery.
Also got to remember that if the military rated it for only 7500 , it's built to handle at least twice that. They always rate their equipment WAY lower than what it is actually built for because they know it's going to get severely overloaded in the field. One of the brighter habits they've picked up over the years.