Pintle Free Injectors

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure doesnt magically disappear... Also Air stops coming in when the intake valve closes, and the piston squeezes all of that air when it comes really close to the head into a small gap above the piston and into the combustion chamber.

Look up ricardo chambers to learn more about this stuff...

Having a stream of fuel poured in takes a lot longer to burn, so long in fact that it could still be burning on the way out of the exhaust valve. This can in some cases help turbo spool but if its coming out black at the tail pipe its still not fully burnt. Wasted power potential

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you plan to use a 350-400hp idi for? It is stupid easy to get to that range with a BBF.

I would use it for getting easily 2 to 2.5 times better fuel economy than a BBF at any power level LOL I personally have no need or desire for a 350+ hp IDI, but guys pushing this type of stuff make it easier for the regular guy to get good, useable, reliable power out of their every day trucks.
Travis..

Black dawg

Reaction score
I would use it for getting easily 2 to 2.5 times better fuel economy than a BBF at any power level LOL
Travis..

I am not against a hot rod IDI at all, was just asking intended usage.....but, I still think the hotrod belongs on a trailer behind the IDI.

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moose Mister Mark II's outflow stock injectors significantly yet still manage to atomize well and keep a nice spray pattern. The dyno sheets are missing from Heath's stickied thread, but I seem to recall a measurable hp increase with the Moose Misters compared to the DPS pintle free injectors. It may seem like the injector should make no power difference without increasing the pump output, but by freeing up the restriction you gain the potential to allow more fuel into the cylinder.

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone said it but I couldn't read anymore after chicken. I'm hungry. But call Mel at Conestoga diesel. Or Google him. Or pm him at agnem. He has injectors and pumps.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our idi engine has plenty of power but.. Its lost because of internal friction. Blueprinting and idi engine will give back that lost power but it MUST be done correctly. Here is a run down of the machine work. I did all this and am very happy with the outcome. You must deck the top of the block. This levels the deck so the pistons are equally out of the block. Then the crank main webs must be line bored or honed straight. Now all the cylinders must be bored true to the now straight crank. Just look at any rod bearing and see the wear on one side or the other edge. Thats a bore thats crocked to the crank so it wears poorly. Now test fit all the pistons and see if they are are out of the cylinders the same amount. Mill those that are not. Now balance all the rotating equipment and make sure the pistons are within 1/3rd gram of being the same weight. There is lots of parasitic hp loss due to the parts scrubbing on other parts because they are off center. Every V8 is built with acceptable tolerances to a assembly line run. Do you think NASCAR runs and engine out of the box. They are built true and correct. I sure would enjoy watching the build some day but not a chance in hell thats going to happen. Way too many secrets going on in those engines. Now porting out heads can ease the hot gas getting out of the cylinders too. Simple cleanup on the intakes is really all thats needed if your running a turbo. All that boost is built up on the back side of the intake valve and its rushing in the millisecond that valve cracks off the seat. It continues fill that cylinder till it closes the intake valve. All the boost pressure is waiting for an opening to fill something. Theres no waiting for boost on a turbo engine ...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way back when Ford raced Diesel NASCAR trucks against the gasser's, they were banned in a couple of years because they got way better fuel milage than the gasser's. You can bet those diesel engines were built for higher RPM's than the run of the mill production ones. With all the comments made, there is no reference as to how fast everything happens during fuel injection. At 2000 RPM, there is only 23 thousandth of a second to inject fuel at 8.5* BTDC. Do the math and see how many times a second combustion takes place at 2000 RPM, use that RPM for normal cruising speed.

SUCK---SQUEEZE---BANG--and BLOW

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That is true Bill, I know the newer stocks ones turn higher RPM's so I am sure the racing ones did. The redline on my 6.0PSD in the Ex is something like 4500 RPM. I posted a video of a 0-Something Run on facebook right after I got the FICM rebuilt. I shifted on that run at RPM's that would make an IDI'er cringe..........

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I'm still running a set of the DPS sticks. They definitely made more power than the stockers, but a lot more smoke as well. If the outside temps are 90+ I can't stop it from smoking. They also idle rough and one has been leaking since day one. I am hoping to toss it on a dyno this fall just for giggles as I plan to replace the motor next year and be running a set of the moose misters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7