Pintle Free Injectors

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting info. I'm not sure I agree with all the theories, but I encourage people to try whatever works for them. The Moose Misters have worked well for us, and our customers seem to love them. We have them running with the Super Moose down in Georgia. There are a couple of fellows engaged in a most interesting project, and when they feel that they have gone far enough with it, hopefully I will be able to point you to it. They are pushing 205cc's/1000 through those injectors with that pump, so they have proven capability to flow more fuel. Most of the Omega Moose pumps are in Central America. Those guys down there really love them for mud bogging.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a set of the DPS injectors for a short time. They were absolute ****. As sychostang said- rough idle, tons of smoke, and no real power increase. I think the pintle serves an important role in making the fuel usable. If it's not atomized, it's hard to get a complete burn in the combustion chamber. The bigger droplets will continue to burn as the exhaust valve opens, and all that extra fuel won't be doing you any good.

There's a reason more don't exist on the market.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm going to point out something here that has not been talked about... EVER. Raise the injector pop pressure to 2500 lbs. Outcome will be ruined pump and injectors around 70,000 miles but oh what a hp increase. Now we all know what a set of injectors will cost and so with the pump replacement. Nothing lives forever now does it. A psd injector is much different from ours and.. They wont function unless they see a minimum pressure of about 20,000 psi. Some hi pro psd injectors will see 50,000 psi and higher pressures too. Someday I plan on installing a new rebuild again from Mel and upping my pop pressures to 2500 lbs but he will know what I'm doing too. I probably can do it with my current pump but I have no idea what its doing now so a new pump is what I feel is the best idea. Not thinking much about advancing more timing either.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Gary; that's what I set the pop at for the 92. Knocking rocking Ford built tough. Sounds like loud knocking rods at idle but smooth's out nicely at 1200 RPM. timing at 9.5* BTDC.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 2000 RPM, there is only 23 thousandth of a second to inject fuel at 8.5* BTDC.

Not sure where you got the number there, but it a fair bit too big... 2000 rpm is 33.3 rev/sec, or 30 ms per revolution. (30 thousands of a second) That means that 1 degree of crank rotation is 83micro seconds (millionth of a second) So, if the fuel injection takes 1/1000 of a second, that's still 10 degrees of crank rotation.

And that's only 2000 rpm....

As far as injector design, I'd think that Ford/IH/Standyne probably knew something when they engineered the stock setup the way they did. Do you know more about diesel design than they do? Granted, some of the design decisions are made for reason we might not emphasize as much for a performance setup, but I doubt there's too much to gain there. Before one starts talking like they know so much more about the secrets of diesels I want to know how.... you really want to figure it out then setup a CFD fluids model of the air/fuel flow and interaction and do some modeling.....

Also wise to remember that a setup optimized for power likely woln't do diddly for fuel economy, so the 350hp = great mileage logic is fallacy.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Damn right. More smoke = more power right?
Also more boost "psi."
Especially if you lug it.

Jk, but that seems to be the mindset of a lot of these yuppie diesel owners.
I don't give a hoot if you tow or not. Put the damn towing mirrors down, quit blowing smoke, turn your hat around, and pull up your frigging pants.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you got the number there, but it a fair bit too big... 2000 rpm is 33.3 rev/sec, or 30 ms per revolution. (30 thousands of a second) That means that 1 degree of crank rotation is 83micro seconds (millionth of a second) So, if the fuel injection takes 1/1000 of a second, that's still 10 degrees of crank rotation.

And that's only 2000 rpm....

As far as injector design, I'd think that Ford/IH/Standyne probably knew something when they engineered the stock setup the way they did. Do you know more about diesel design than they do? Granted, some of the design decisions are made for reason we might not emphasize as much for a performance setup, but I doubt there's too much to gain there. Before one starts talking like they know so much more about the secrets of diesels I want to know how.... you really want to figure it out then setup a CFD fluids model of the air/fuel flow and interaction and do some modeling.....

Also wise to remember that a setup optimized for power likely woln't do diddly for fuel economy, so the 350hp = great mileage logic is fallacy.

I guess this comment is pointed at me. My math must be off, I'm surely not a mathmatician (can't spell either), and I sure as hell don't know more than diesel engineers. Guess I got flamed.-Flame Thr :sucks

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just trying to learn about this engine in depth from people who know what theyre talking about. this has nothing to do with hot rodding blowing smoke whatever. this is more of a project to prove a point about the idi engine and its capabilities.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'll go ahead and assume this portion is focused toward my comment :). My fuel economy comment was only compared to a big bock ford at the same power level.
Travis..